Chapter 30

"Hey, Tony." I said as I walked into the lab. He was at his desk, a pencil in hand and a paper in front of him. He directed his attention away from his work and to me.

"What are you doing here?" he asked, his head tilted. "Thought you'd be out with him." He pointed his pencil aimlessly towards the door.

"I know I'm not one to talk but I'd rather not follow Steve while his head is in flames." I laughed and pulled a seat next to Tony. "Wanda went though."

"And you let her?" 

"Well, apparently, me telling her not to go is controlling her. So..." I paused. "seems like we both got some trouble in paradise." He nodded his head in agreement before turning back to his work. "Let's just hope this is as far as it goes."

~//~//~

"Y/n, come on. You can't seriously sit there and say that Tony, of all people, is right about this!" Wanda shouted from just outside my bathroom door.

"I'm not saying he's right! But I'm not gonna sit here and pretend that Steve is right either!" I shouted back from inside the bathroom.

"Well, you can't just sit there and say nothing!"

"Actually, that's exactly what I'm gonna do! You know why?" I started to lower my voice. "Because this-" I waved my hands to reference the situation. "-this is gonna get someone hurt. All I have to say is this, Tony isn't right, Steve isn't right, Rhodey, Natasha, Sam, Clint, Vision, these new guys...you. None of you are right. None of this is right."

"So, what is? Huh?" Wanda asked matching my tone. "If you're so certain that this fight is pointless, what should we do instead?" I stood silent. "No answer. You know why? Because deep down you know that war gets things done. And if you don't then maybe you should relook at your history books."

"Seriously? You're going to compare- mmm-" I stopped to laugh. "Fine, fine you know what? Let's compare. April 1861 to April 1865. A four year war between the Northern and Southern states. At first the war began because the South wanted independence from the Union, the North wanted everyone to be reunited. Eventually the war became about more than reunification, it became about slavery. The North fought for slavery to be abolished while the South wanted to keep their slaves. Nearly 2% of the population, at the time, died. Shall I keep going?"

"Th-" she cut herself off.

There was a silence between us for a long period of time that made us both uncomfortable. Until, "Look, I get it. You feel like the Sokovia Accords take away your rights and maybe they do. And I know you will fight for what you believe in and, god, I love you for that. I do. I love you. But if you want things to change, if you want the Accords to be different or you want Tony and his side to agree with you...fighting each other won't solve any of that."

"Y/-" She cut herself off again and looked down. 

"Just, please, don't get hurt." I told her laying a kiss on her forehead. She nodded and left the room. I dropped myself onto my bed. brought my knees close to my chest and just sat there staring at the floor praying for the best. 

Someone's going to get hurt. And it'll be your fault. Your just sitting here. Doing nothing. While your family tears each other apart.

Welcome back, tiny voice of my head. But it was right. I just let the woman I love go and fight in the next civil war. A war between the Avengers. If I don't do anything, all that comes out of this is going to be my fault. I have the chance, so why don't I just take it?