Chapter 23

Percy's POV

The cliff overlooking the city is one of those cliché ones you see in movies. You know with the green coniferous forest that stops right as the rock begins to jut out. The actual ledge itself is broad in the back before narrowing down to a flat point that's tilted slightly upward like pride rock. The wind whips around us, but not enough to push us over the edge.

Rolling hills and fields surround the city. Some of the fields have golden wheat grains waving back at us, while others are filled with beautiful flowers. Little streams and brooks weave gently through the fields. The sun is directly over head, making the water shine like polished mirrors. The forest behind us spreads to the east or the left, beyond the lush fields. It must be Autumn here because the leaves are vibrant reds, sunset oranges, and soft yellows. The forest extends up a slope, ending in a snow topped mountain that's peak is in the clouds. More mountains appeared in the distance behind it. To the right or east, is a glittering bay that extends into an ocean as far as the eye can see. All the rivers that flow through the fields and the city lead to the bay. Brightly colored sailboats are moored to docks, but no motor boats. Odd.

But the city itself is the real beauty. Even in the lush fields and the swirl of bright leaves in the forest, the city is the real gem of this land. It seemed to be combined of the best attributes of several different cities. The beautiful fountains and plazas from Rome. The marvelous architecture from Greece. The straight layout of New York. The terraces on the side of small hills from the Andes mountain region. The domed rooftops of New Delhi, India. The light reflexion you get from looking at the Giza pyramids. The city also had it's own style with gleaming silver walls. At every direction except for west, there were lookout points with guards standing on them. On the western point in the bay, there were huge water gates to protect the city from unwanted guests.

The city seemed to be divided into five different rings. The outermost ring, right by the towering walls, was an area for soldiers, where they lived, trained, and rested in between shifts. This area had simple, plain houses, ranging in various shades of brown and grey. The next circle divided by a smaller silver wall, was more of a community. Schools, parks, and community centers dotted amongst the houses. The houses and community looks like that of an above average American's home, in money wise. (Sorry to those who don't live in America. Ignore that.) The homes are a bit more elegant than the soldier's homes and have small green backyards. Children play in parks and backyards. The next ring over seems to be richer than the ring before. The houses are more extravagant, the yards are greener, and the streets look cleaner, not that the other ring's streets were dirty. The schools looked newer and the people were dressed better. They would probably be the upper part of American society. The next ring over is definitely a market place. Even though there are small grocery stores and things throughout the neighborhood rings, this is the major market. I can see a section for fresh fruits, animals, handcrafted objects, and even some old looking wooden machinery.

In the center of all of this, encircled by green grass and a blue water moat, was the gleaming silver and white castle. Walls, ramparts, battlements, and towers were all in prime condition. There was a certain power to the likes I had never sensed before emanating from the castle. That's how I knew where we were going.

I glanced over to my friends to see them all staring at the city and it's surroundings in awe. Even Amphitrite and Triton, who are gods, looked stunned. They are so captivated by the sight that lays before us, that they don't even notice when Ananke appears in a swirling portal of green and purple. She laughs when she sees the look on our faces.

"Beautiful, isn't it? Earth could look like this if the leaders decided to stop fighting," Ananke says.

"Huh?" I say, being stupid as usual.