𝓮𝓵𝓮𝓿𝓮𝓷 | 𝓬𝓸𝓷𝓯𝓻𝓸𝓷𝓽𝓪𝓽𝓲𝓸𝓷

The following day, Armin found himself standing on someone's porch, waiting for them to open their front door. He alternated between pulling at the hem of his shirt and nervously fiddling with his fingers as he tapped his feet anxiously.

Maybe I should think this through some more.
I can just come back later today, or better yet, tomorrow.
I think I'll do that--

His thoughts were interrupted promptly by the slow creak of the door as it was opened.

Mikasa poked her head out, staring at Armin with her mouth slightly agape and her eyes wide.

"Oh! Good morning, Armin," she greeted. She opened her door all the way, allowing Armin to step inside. He noticed she was wearing a long, fluffy baby blue robe with fuzzy olive slippers. "It's been a while since you've come over."

"Hey, Mikasa," he said through a forced smile. "Sorry for coming without texting you first...I didn't wake you up, did I?"

Mikasa waved her hand as she giggled a "no," shuffling into the living room with Armin trailing behind her.

"I got my day started late," she explained as she pointed at an armchair for Armin to sit in. "I was, ah-"

After taking a seat, Armin looked up to see a slight blush arising on Mikasa's cheeks.

"Eren kept me up late last night," she finished shyly.

Armin's breath hitched at his name.

He quickly pushed his immediate thoughts aside and whispered a gentle "that's cute," making Mikasa smile.

Mikasa cleared her throat. "I'm making tea. Do you want some?"

"Oh, yes, please."

"Okay, I'll be right back."

About a minute later, Mikasa walked back into the living room with two mugs in her hand. After handing one of the mugs to Armin, she sat in the armchair across from him.

A tense silence ensued, with only the sounds present in the room being that of sipping and glass as it clinked against tables.

Mikasa sighed and spoke up after a few minutes. "What are you here for, Armin?"

Armin lowered the mug he was bringing to his lips. "What?"

"I asked, what are you here for, Armin?"

Armin stayed silent, his hands trembling slightly.

"You never come to my house, and you never come without asking me first," Mikasa began. "And, you've been acting strange since the day we all went to the cafe. So, what are you here for, Armin?"

With a shaky breath, Armin set his mug down on the small table next to the armchair. He squeezed his eyes shut and took a deep breath.

"On Tuesday, when I went to Eren's house after we all left the cafe...We had a talk."

"No...," Mikasa mumbled. "No, no, no..."

"He told me that he had romantic feelings for someone other than you," Armin continued. "And, later that day...At night, after you left his house...I went back again. And I learned that he had feelings for me."

"He told me he had finally gotten over them," Mikasa hissed, hands balled into fists as she tried not to cry. "When you left, we had a talk, too...He told me he no longer had those feelings for you. He said he didn't think of you in that way anymore!"

Armin gave Mikasa a few moments before he continued. "That same night, when you called him, I was there. While you were on the phone with him."