Chapter Thirty Nine: A Thousand Potential Futures

this is the second to last chapter omg. i wasn't going to write this weekend, but then it just didn't feel right and i started writing lol. next chapter is the very last chapter of atw and then an epilogue. are you ready bc i'm not ready aldskf. ignore weird mistakes and typos, enjoy xx

dedicated to EmSlough for the absolutely gorgeous cover that i'll be using sometime in the future. she's also been a such really great friend and i adore her so much. love you, em! <3 

* * *

Chapter Thirty Nine: A Thousand Potential Futures

"Ugh, get a room. Please."

"We are in a room. Now get the fuck out."

Jessica, reacting typically as she slapped my shoulder at the simple cuss word, rolled her eyes and squirmed out from under me. I dropped down on the bed next to her with an annoyed sigh and glare pointed solely at a smirking Kristy. She clearly was not sorry for interrupting our make out session – the one in many that has happened since Jessica and I resolved our issues and whatever lingering grudge dissipated.

It's been a small while since all that happened. My relationship with Mark and Rebecca was still pretty strained, but the tension has dulled in comparison from the way you could feel it in the early days of my irritation. My dad, so I've heard, has packed up and went back to where he came from, much to my relief. It left no further urge to bother me about him now since he wasn't even in the city anymore.

Things have slowly eased back into the way they used to be. Saturday movie nights and chicken fingers with Chris and Jessica, lunches at the café, study sessions after school, orphanage visits, and, most importantly, the gestures of affection I've been having withdrawals from.

And it was really annoying when those affectionate actions were interrupted by a fifteen year old girl who knocks and ignores the orders for her not to come in.

"I know you guys are going strong again and stuff," Kristy began as she slipped into the room, casually oblivious to Jessica's mussed up state and my ongoing glare, "but if you plan to give Jessica her first time, I don't think it should be in an orphanage full of little girls."

"Oh, my god, Kristy!" Jessica squealed, embarrassed. Her hands flew up to cover her face and the weight of my glare lifted as I grew amused.

I slung an arm around her shoulder, grinning, and pulled her against me, even as she curled up on herself and pushed her forehead down against her knees. "Don't worry, baby, I'd make your first time much more special than that," I said to her teasingly, though I sure wasn't joking. Even if I was, an orphanage is definitely not the place I'd make love to her for the first time. Definitely not.

"I hate you," Jessica muttered flatly, still curled up, "I hate you both."

I laughed at her reaction before saying, "What did you want, Kristy?"

"Oh, the kids want you to come down and join us for chalk drawing out back. But if you're too busy getting kinky at an orphanage . . ."