Chapter One: A Thousand New Beginnings

a/n 03.17.21dedicated to _angie2007_  for the lovely cover! i'm on a slow journey of revisions, but nonetheless, this story holds a special place in my heart. i hope you enjoy, and welcome to the beginning x 

 i hope you enjoy, and welcome to the beginning x 

Stares.

Whispers.

Wide eyes.

Avoidance.

These were all common actions that people sent me as I walked through the halls. Just one more year – senior year – and I'll be away from it all. At least my constant scowl and cold glares were enough to keep all the idiots from getting in my way. After three full years of this, I've come to know just how hormonal, snotty, and conceited the idiots in this school were. All that matters to them is drowning in beer, getting laid, or blowing their money on shit just to flex. I felt pissed to be back.

"Dude, will you wipe that look off your face? You look like you're going to take out a weapon and go on a rampage or something."

I snorted, my eyes lazily glancing towards Kyle with a look that clearly said wouldn't that be nice?

Well, at least if I have to spend one more year here, at least I had Kyle. While these people seem to get things handed over to them on a silver-platter, Kyle knows what it's like to have it hard. He works two jobs to help out his folks. It's why we get along so well, ever since middle school.

My entire body cringed as a chorus of high-pitched, flirtatious giggles reached my ears. A group of jocks standing dead in the middle of the hall were busy playing a game of catch with a football. Each of them ignored my annoyed glare as we passed by. But just as I was almost out of earshot, a voice muttered, "What crawled up his ass and died?"

I stopped and turned, my body already tensing as I turned to see a cocky smile playing on the lips of the bastard who dared to test my limits on the first day.

Big mistake.

Before anyone could process what was happening, I had already pinned the smart ass jock against the nearest row of lockers. His eyes were wide with panic as I leaned dangerously close to his face.

"Do you want to repeat that?" I sneered lowly, my voice dripping with venom.

"N-No!" he stuttered, bringing an arm up to cover his face.

Wuss, I thought with an eye roll. Oh, how quick he was to drop his tough guy act. I've dropped a lot of those in my time. "Well then, keep your mouth shut, pretty boy," I warned, switching my tone as if I were merely exchanging pleasantries.

Kyle patted my shoulder. "C'mon, man. Let's go," he warned. Trust Kyle to keep me in check and keep me from expulsion that, surprisingly, hasn't come yet.

With one last slam of the boy against the locker, I turned on my heel and continued down the hallway.

Kyle matched my fast stride as he spoke. "Reece, you need to chill out, dude. Classes haven't even started and you're on thin ice with the school already. Rebecca's going to have your ass if you screw up when you're so close to graduating."