Chapter Twenty Six: A Thousand Touching Words

Happy November, my loves! This is officially the longest story I've ever written and we're getting rolling with the story. Shoutout to @FreakOfBands, @OnceUponATime333, @Zarah1204, and @TheWayYouDo for hilariously plotting out Chris and Darcy's whole wedding lol ;)

Ignore weird mistakes and typos, enjoy! xx

* * *

Chapter Twenty Six: A Thousand Touching Words

Jessica sighed sadly as Darcy finished explaining what went down between Kristy and her potential adoption family. Her interview was the first to be scheduled between the other two girls and was held yesterday while Jessica was at my place. The family that had came showed some genuine interest in Kristy, according to Darcy’s mischievous snooping skills; however, they also had a seven year old son.

Let’s just say that he was no angel-faced Chris.

So when Kristy’s temper ran short on his childish insults and snotty attitude towards her, any chance that she had with that family was shot down and stomped on as the two argued heatedly back and forth.

Now the angry disappointment of another rejection was being directed to anyone and everyone.

“Dang it,” Jessica said dejectedly. “I was really hoping that this would be it.”

“Poor kid,” I muttered, shaking my head. Was being a teenager in the adoption world really that hard? What’s the big deal about getting a child instead anyway? Pursing my lips, I took Darcy off my lap and plopped her on the bed, standing up and saying, “I’m going to go talk to her.”

Jessica frowned and followed me out the door. “Reece, I don’t think you, out of all people, can make her feel any better. It’s best to just let her simmer down on her own.”

“No, I got this,” I argued dismissively. “Maybe we can bond over this conversation of ours.”

Grabbing my hand, she pulled me to a stop, urging me to look at her. Her face was all sorts of serious as she said, “Reece, listen to me. I know you. You can be really blunt and forward, and that sometimes makes you come off as a jerk.” I raised an eyebrow at her before shrugging it off after a moment of consideration.

“Yeah, you’re right,” I admitted. Pushing her against the wall of an alleyway and demanding to know what was going on in her life wasn’t exactly a steady approach. But beating around the bush isn’t how I like to take things, and sometimes a little tough love is all you need to get through to someone. Probably not the best mindset, but it’s my mindset.

I’m in a hella great relationship with the girl I never thought of being with. I didn’t totally throw myself off a high cliff.

“Just – just try to be a little bit gentle,” Jessica suggested pleadingly.

“When have you ever known me to be a gentle person?”