Part 5 - Fights

"You are not out!" Nick exclaims in a hushed voice as he runs to catch up to me. "I don't think you understand; this plan is entirely dependent on you."

"I don't think you understand," I retort. "I'm not interested in dying at the hands of that asshole anytime soon."

"And you won't - in fact, you won't even have to fight him."

I stop and turn to him, seeing that his face is completely serious. I roll my eyes and quickly drag him into my office with me. "I'm sorry, but in what part of 'overthrow' is violence not involved?"

"You see, we already tried to overthrow him with brute force. It's simply not possible."

"We?"

He ignores me and continues. "We are going to get Loki where he would never expect it; psychologically."

I scoff. "And how the hell do you psychologically manipulate a god?"

"Love."

"Love?" I scoff. "Love is for fools. Love is simply a chemical stimulus, nothing more."

Nick shakes his head. "Love is a powerful emotion, powerful enough to bend the will of anybody - even Loki."

"Yeah? And who the hell does he love? There is absolutely nobody on Earth that he has expressed an interest in-"

I quickly stop talking as a smug look spreads across Nick's face.

"You aren't possibly suggesting-"

"You've caught Loki's attention," Nick interrupts me. "It seems that your little game of hating him has piqued his interest. What we need to do is keep going with that, and eventually - hopefully sooner rather than later - we can turn this hate into something a little better."

"I'm sorry; are you suggesting a fucking enemies-to-lovers trope? Moreso, are you proposing that I have to pretend to love him?"

"Not at first," Nick shakes his head. "Just keep doing what you're doing; it has him interested. Occasionally, show him that you might not hate him as much as you say you do."

"Oh, so you're a romance writer now?"

He rolls his eyes. "Loki is a toxic person, and he's attracted to people who mirror his toxicity. Basically, I think he sees himself in you."

"That's fucked up."

"He's a next-level narcissist; of course he's going to be romantically interested in somebody similar to himself."

I shake my head. "So let's say this all somehow works; Loki falls for me and shit. What happens next?"

"We have a few options. Option one: you convince Loki to leave Earth. Option two: you stab Loki in the back and arrest and/or kill him. Option three: you break Loki's heart and we get him while he's down."

"So, basically, we have a lot of options?"

He nods. "Pretty much. All that you have to do is carry out our little romance novel."

I scoff. "That's all?"

"Oh, come on, it'll start out easy," he insists. "You get to keep doing what you love to do; act like you hate Loki's guts."

......

"You're so incessant!" I complain as I turn on my heel to face Loki. "Can't you just leave me alone and let me do my thing?"

"No, not after you have proven that you can't be trusted," Loki responds with a smirk. "Tell me, have you always been so problematic?"

"Problematic?" I scoff. "Because I stabbed one of your men when he attempted to grab my ass?"