Part 7 - Stitches

"What the hell do you want?" I ask as I pick up my phone.

"Why, good morning, it's so nice to hear your cheery voice," Loki replies cooly.

I roll my eyes. "Don't make me hang up on you."

"Okay, okay. I just need some medical attention," he sighs.

I raise a brow. "Medical attention? For what?"

He hesitates. "Well, when I woke up, I realized that the scratch on my cheek was actually much more than a scratch; I think it needs stitches."

"How does one not notice a gash that deep until the day after they received it?" I scoff.

"I'm a god; oftentimes small injuries heal overnight. It seems that this pesky cut did not. Please, just come up and fix it."

I hesitate slightly, taken aback by his use of manners. "Well, I suppose I could do this for you since you asked so nicely."

I can almost hear his eye-roll through the phone. "Thank you," he says mockingly. "You're just too generous."

......

"Get your hands off me!" Loki shouts as he slaps my hand away from his face.

I roll my eyes as I pull the syringe of anesthetic away from him. "I didn't even bring the needle within a foot of your face yet."

"Do we even know if Midgardian anesthetic will work on a god such as myself?"

"No, but it looks like we're going to find out," I reply as I bring the syringe towards him again.

"Wait!" he interrupts, holding a hand over his cut so I can't reach it.

I huff in annoyance as I bring the syringe down yet again. "What, Loki?"

"I need some reassurance that you won't make this hurt just to spite me."

"Look, I know that I haven't been on my best for treating your men, but I promise you that I've always given them the correct amount of anesthetic so they don't feel anything. Maybe for you, I'll feel nice enough to take my time so you won't be left with a scar." I lift the syringe back up. "Now lower your hand unless you want me to go through it."

He rolls his eyes as he begrudgingly lowers the hand. "I would prefer if you didn't leave a scar, thank you very much."

"You happen to be in luck; my sutures are comparable to those of our head of plastic surgery - well, before our whole hospital was demolished in the initial battle where you had those Chitauri things attack the city for you. The one thing I'm grateful for is that you sent those hideous things back to wherever they came from."

"They did happen to be better fighters than my current army, however," he sighs. "But Thanos wanted them back, so it looks like I have to work with what I have."

"Thanos?" I question as I begin to give him an injection of anesthetic.

He winces and waits until I've removed the needle to respond. "He's this big purple guy in outer space that wants to take over the universe. I've formed an alliance with him and am helping him by taking over Midgard."

I give him another injection. "Hate to break it to you, but you've only taken over New York City so far."

"It's a start," he insists. "Besides, I need to take enough time so that Thanos can take over the rest of the planets, then I'll betray him and take the whole universe for myself."

"Let me get this straight; you're planning on betraying the big purple guy who has the whole army of Chitauri?" I ask as I set the syringe down.

"I'm not stupid. I have a plan."