Part 14 - Confessions

"Scarlett!"

I quickly shake my head and turn to Loki. "Yeah?"

"What the hell are you doing? I just yelled your name multiple times."

"Sorry, I was really focused on trying to count his BPM," I lie. I turn to the soldier. "Your vitals are good, so I'm moving on to somebody who needs more immediate attention."

I don't wait for his reply as I quickly get up and move to the patient besides Angela. As I'm taking his pulse, she leans over. "I'm sorry. For not telling you that his vitals were good," she states, meaning 'that I'm secretly a SHIELD agent' instead of 'his vitals were good.'

I nod. "It's no big deal, I just would have preferred if you told me his vitals were good upfront," I explain as calmly as I can.

She seems relieved by the fact that I'm not flipping out on her. "I didn't want to scare you off. I didn't know if you'd want to check on him since his vitals are good."

"We'll talk about this later. I'm not telling anybody else that his vitals are good though," I assure her.

She nods. "Thank you."

I sigh as I turn back to my patient. God, I don't know why the hell I got myself dragged into this.

......

"The bathroom? Really?" Angela asks in disgust as she looks around the women's bathroom (which probably hasn't been cleaned since Loki took over Stark Tower).

"This is the only place nobody will listen in on us," I roll my eyes. "Now talk."

"Okay," she sighs defeatedly. "Well, at first, Nick was supposed to be the only mole here. He joined Loki's army willingly to gather intel, but he lied to you and told you he joined against his will so that you'd trust him, but the fact that Loki is making people join against their will is still very true."

"Wait, so he enlisted willingly?" I question.

She nods. "He knew nobody would look at him as possibly betraying Loki if he joined willingly. I wasn't supposed to come into the picture, but he started coming up with this insane plan of your whole enemies-to-lovers shit, and he said he needed another ally who could work with you up close. He also mentioned that you needed a nurse, so SHIELD quickly came up with the idea for how to drop me in and not look suspicious."

"So you purposely let those men drag you in here?"

"We were counting on it. SHIELD didn't entirely trust Nick's plan or you, so they decided to let that be your test. Since you put yourself at such great risk to save me, they decided you were a safe bet for Nick's crazy-ass plan. When Natasha found out you were the person Nick had found, she vouched for you then proceeded to threaten mine and Nick's lives if we let anything happen to you-"

"Natasha's safe?" I interrupt.

She nods. "Completely safe and sound, just like the rest of the Avengers. And they're working on a plan to overthrow Loki, but it's taking time. My guess is that we're by far their best bet."

"Great," I mutter.

"Anyways, Nick and I are in contact with them, but mostly Nick. He handles almost all of our communications with SHIELD, and nobody suspects it. He acts like one of Loki's most devoted soldiers in front of the other men and just pretends to be a not-so-good fighter so nobody questions why he doesn't do much in combat."

"How the hell do you guys even communicate with SHIELD?"

"Super encrypted cell phones and shit. There's a lot of secrets about Stark Tower that nobody besides Tony Stark knows, and he shared that information with us before sending us in here."