3

I was out of breath.

I started to sweat as I kept on running through the streets of Seoul while carrying Yeji on my back. It was a very windy day, but I was sweaty and short of breath.

Even though I am still annoyed at Yeji, I am doing my best to bring her to the hospital. I even left my bag just to save her.

I threw a glance at Yeji and I let out a sigh of relief when I noticed that she is breathing. 'She's alive. Thank goodness.' I thought to myself as I don't like the idea of carrying a cold corpse on my back.

After running for minutes, I finally saw a hospital. It was a big hospital that is painted with white and red.

I paused for a moment to catch my breath. My legs were shivering and my hands that are preventing Yeji from falling are all sweaty.

I inhaled and exhaled as my eyes wandered around. It was a very noisy and crowded day. People with expensive looking suits are walking around, cars beeping at each other, and kids running around with their parents.

After a few seconds of resting, I inhaled and exhaled sharply as I finally regained my strength. Without hesitation, I ran towards the hospital that is only a few meters away from me.

I was running so fast. I kept on asking myself, 'Why am I trying to save this girl? I don't even know her.' I kept on repeating the same question in my mind.

I was in a rush that I kept on bumping on random people who are peacefully walking and enjoying the cold air. My hands are so close to letting go of Yeji, but I tried my best to prevent that from happening.

After a few minutes of running, I stopped running when the hospital is now in front of me.

I looked at Yeji and smiled. "Thank... me later.." I said in a tired tone.

Without hesitation, I immediately dashed inside the hospital to seek help from doctors.

--

While sitting down by the reception, I started tapping the vinyl floor with my foot as I felt a little nervous.

I crossed my arms and started biting my nail while shaking my legs. It is the first time I did something good like this. I honestly hope that Yeji is fine or all of my efforts are wasted.

I looked at my right side and my eyes widened a little bit at what I saw.

"Hey!" Yeji happily shouted while sitting down on a wheelchair. Yeji was smiling brightly and she was still wearing her beanie.

The nurse that is assisting Yeji smiled at me that made me a little confused.

I stood up from my seat and asked, "Well? are you okay or what? why are you on a wheelchair and not me? my legs are tired." I complained like a child.

Yeji chuckled at me and gave me an eye smile that annoyed me a little bit. "I'm still a little dizzy, but I'm fine."

"Well, I should get going now. I have to buy myself a new bag." I said and tried to walk away.

Suddenly, the nurse grabbed my arm making me pause for a moment. "Wait." The nurse said.

I rolled my eyes and looked at the nurse. "What is it?" I asked and shoved her hand away.

The nurse inserted her hand in her pocket. "You deserve this." She pulled out a candy bar and handed it to me that made me a little confused.

I took the candy bar from her hand. "What is this for?" I asked.

The nurse chuckled at me and placed both of her hands in her pocket. "You just saved a life." She said. "Take care, Yeji." She gave Yeji a pat on the head and walked away from us.

I was frozen. I couldn't move a muscle because my mind is filled with questions. "What did she mean by that?" I asked Yeji while looking at the candy bar.

"Let's talk outside." Yeji said.

--

"I'm no longer dizzy. Thanks to my pills." Yeji said while sitting down on a bench besides me.

I inhaled and exhaled through my nose as I let the cold wind enter my nose. The garden on the hospital was really big. There were many plants and flowers and patients are free to roam around.

"Do you mind explaining what the hell is going on?" I looked at Yeji while eating the candy bar.

The candy bar was sweet. It had nuts inside it that satisfied me a little bit. I looked at the name of the product and I noticed that it's in English so I assumed that it's from a different country.

Yeji sat down closer to me. "Can I tell you a secret?"

I sighed as I am uninterested with the weird girl sitting besides me. I thought that she will say something cheesy or corny to me, but I decided to play along. "Sure." I replied.

"The reason I'm wearing a beanie is because I don't want people to see the top of my hair." She whispered to me. "I'm wearing a wig."

I laughed at what she said. I started to imagine what Yeji looks like without hair. I started laughing so hard that I choked on the food I was eating.

My face was so red. I clenched my left fist and hit myself on the chest. I let out a cough and eventually stopped laughing.

"So the reason why you passed out is because you're bald?" I jokingly said.

"No, silly." Yeji giggled.

I held my head as I chuckled at her. "Shit. I can't believe this. You don't have hair. Why not grow some?" I mockingly said.

"Can I tell you another secret?"

"Sure." I replied.

Yeji brought her face closer to my ear. "I have cancer."

The smile on my face dissolved into a worried look. I went completely silent as my mood got destroyed. I looked around the garden as our conversation fell into the voids of silence.

"I've been battling brain cancer for years." Yeji said.

I stood up from my seat. "A-are you going to die?" I asked.

Yeji chuckled softly. "My lifespan keeps on decreasing everyday. I think I only have a few years to live."

I didn't want to form a deep connection with Yeji. Even though I hated her at first, now I see her as a genuine cheerful and kind person.

"I have to go." I said and walked away.

"You're a good person." Yeji said making me pause.

I looked at her and I raised both of my eyebrows. "What?"

"You're a nice person. You brought me here and waited for me." She smiled.

"No. I'm not." I said and left.