17

Three days have passed.

In that short period of time, all I did was study and hangout with Yeji. I didn't hangout that much with my two stubborn friends.

While walking at the park with Yeji, I let out a smile while thinking about those three days.

The smell of the blooming flowers entered my nose making me snap out of my thoughts. It was a peaceful afternoon.

Yeji, who is walking besides me, looked like an angel. She was still wearing her plain black beanie. She was wearing her black jacket and her black joggers that protect her from the cold air.

On our left side, there were kids playing around the clean and green grass with their lovely pets. They were yelling out of happiness while running away from their pets that are continuously chasing them.

To our right side, there was a big tree. Under the giant tree, there was a family of 7 sitting on their checkered covers. Their meals consisted of tuna sandwiches. They were happily eating while the father of the family is reading the kids a story.

I looked above and the smile on my face grew bigger as I gazed upon the scarlet skies. There were birds flying with the guidance of the wind.

The sun was setting.

I switched my attention to Yeji who is looking around the park. I lightly tapped her shoulder to get her attention.

Yeji looked at me and she let out a small smile. "What is it?"

The tone of her voice made me a little concerned. Yeji hasn't been her usual energetic and cheerful self. I was a little scared that her condition is getting worse or I'm just being paranoid.

"Do you want to watch the fireworks with me later?" I asked. I wanted to take Yeji on a private spot and personally talk to her.

She nodded at me. "Of course. What time is it?"

I looked at my watch on my right wrist to look at the time. "I think it will start in an hour." I replied.

"Alright. Let's watch it later." She said.

--

"Ryujin, it's so dark in here. I'm scared." Yeji weakly said while walking with me.

I decided to take Yeji on a public garden where we can sit on a wooden bench and watch the loud and colorful explosions in the dark valley of stars.

"Don't worry." I held Yeji's trembling wrist.

I chuckled a little bit at the terrified look on Yeji. She was obviously scared of the dark. It wasn't even that dark, but she was shaking like someone is pointing a knife at her.

While we wander around the public garden, I pointed at a small wooden bench where 4 people can fit. "Let's sit there." I said.

Yeji looked around and she was still shaking like a cat. "I'm a little scared of the dark and fireworks." She said.

I smiled and gave Yeji a pat on the head. "Don't worry." The two of us walked towards the bench I wanted to sit on.

Yeji was still shaking so I inhaled and exhaled sharply. My hand that was holding Yeji's wrist slid down to her hand.

I tightly held her hand and her hand stopped shaking making me breathe a sigh of relief.

As we approached the wooden bench, the two of us sat down without hesitation.

I let go of Yeji's hand and I looked around while trying to prevent my face from turning red. There was a big pond in front of us and there were many flowers around us.

I was completely mesmerized by the peaceful feeling and beautiful scent. The public garden we went to is a very famous spot because couples like going there.

While I was looking around with a small smile on my face, I threw a glance at Yeji and the happiness on my face dissolved into a sad look when I looked at the dull look on her face.

I let out a sigh and without hesitation, I asked, "What's wrong with you?"

Yeji looked at me and she let out a small smile at me. "What?"

"Why do you look so bored? why aren't you smiling? is something wrong?" I asked with a hint of worry.

Yeji straightened her back and sat down properly. "Nothing." She shook her head.

I felt a little frustrated.

It was obvious that Yeji is hiding something. The look on her eyes, her movement, and the tone of her voice. It was obvious that she's keeping something from me.

"Are you going to die?" I asked.

Yeji weakly chuckled. "Yes." She answered without hesitation. "I will die. You will die. Everyone around you will die."

I let out a disappointed look. I clenched both of my fists as I started shaking a little bit.

"You know what I meant by that question!" I yelled that startled Yeji.

Yeji raised both of her eyebrows. "W-what do you mean?" She asked.

"Are you dying because of your cancer?" I said.

Yeji slowly nodded. "Yes, Ryujin. I will die because of my brain cancer. Surgery can't cure it and the only thing that is postponing my death are my pills."

I slowly looked at the ground. "I-"

I was cut off when I heard an explosion nearby.

The fireworks started.

Several light-colored objects were launched to the sky. Every single one of them exploded creating a colorful scenery in the sky.

I looked above the dark sky and I let out a small smile while watching the fireworks.

I switched my attention to Yeji. "Do you like the spot I pic-"

I was cut off when Yeji suddenly hugged me.

"I-I..." I struggled to say a word as Yeji was tightly hugging me. I felt really warm and comfortable in her arms. I placed both of my hands behind Yeji's back.

"Don't worry about a single thing, Ryujin." Yeji said in a weak voice. She sounded like she's on the verge of crying.

I nodded. "A-alright."

Yeji broke the hug and held my hand. She looked at me in the eyes with her glowing eyes that are as colorful as the skies. "I promise that I will tell you before I die."

I let out a smile at her. The anxious feeling went away. I was worried that Yeji was very close to dying because she had a seizure, but she said to not worry too much so I decided to trust her words.

"I'll get discharged tomorrow." Yeji said. "Let's go on a date at the tteokbokki store we liked so much."

I tightly held Yeji's hands. "Alright, Yeji. I can't wait to see you tomorrow." I said with a nod.