2 : needed to know her

☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒

☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒

thomas was walking unusually slowly, almost robotically, as if his brain was struggling to tell each foot to take the next step. it was as if he were in a stupor; like someone under hypnosis. he walked all around the building, feeling guiltier with every minute that passed by, not only for allowing different genders to go to different groups, but also for letting his friends go to the maze that he built.

newt, minho, chuck, alby. he would never forget the betrayed look in their eyes once they realized that he wasn't going with them. he couldn't tell them that the maze was his project, and that made his friends hate him more.

everything went downhill after that.

he kept walking but he couldn't go to the observation room because watching his friends through a screen was frightening. instead, he found himself on the hospital floor. he remembered being here when he was younger, when they planted something into his brain. it was where he first met minho and teresa and got his first look of newt.

he pushed the memory away before it could make his eyes water.

he was just about to turn around and walk somewhere else when he saw a girl with light hair and wide grey eyes. she sat on a hospital bed as a doctor inserted a needle into her arm, a second later it filled with her blood.

he knew he should turn around and walk away before she could be another person that haunted his head like the friends he sent to the maze but he couldn't get his legs to move.

he studied her. high, delicate cheek bones, small nose, luminescent grey eyes, creamy smooth skin, and silky blonde hair. his gaze turned downward. she was petite and dainty. delicate, if you will.

he could already feel fierce protectiveness for her and he didn't even know her name.

at that moment she looked up and her eyes locked with his. he stumbled backward until his back hit the wall in the hallway and she couldn't see him anymore. he tried to slow his breathing but how could he when she noticed him?

"all done, hayley," said the doctor. "keep your finger above this cotton ball until the bleeding stops."

he peeked around the corner and to his horror she noticed him staring again but this time she tried to hide a smile. he decided he needed to know her and that it was worth getting all the pain that came along with knowing her.

he walked into the hospital room and over to her.

"hello, thomas," said the doctor suspiciously. he must've already heard the news about his little outburst at the meeting and that he was there to mess with the plan but he wasn't, all he needed was to talk to the girl.

"hi doctor carson," thomas said but his eyes were on her. "i'll be bringing hayley back to her room. dr. paige told me to," he lied.

carson looked suspicious but nodded anyways and left the room.

"wow," hayley said. "you're a terrible liar."

"i wasn't lying," he said but she stared at him in amusement until he admitted it. "okay, fine, i was lying but it worked didn't it?"

"like a charm," she smiled then her expression became blank. "he said your name is thomas. my little brother talked about you a lot. he said you were kind before... before he was sent somewhere. do you know where they've taken him?"

"who's your little brother?" he asked, already knowing the answer.

"they call him charles here," she answered, unable to hide the pain in her voice.

thomas's throat tightened and his whole body felt hollow. "chuck," he said in half a whisper. he couldn't bare the thought of telling her where he was, not only because it would scare her but it would also pain him to say it out loud. "no," he lied. "i don't know where he is."

her eyes brimmed with tears as the hope in them died until all there left was pain. "i haven't seen him in so long. those people are telling me that i should move on and forget about him but how can i forget about my brother? it's impossible."

"don't," thomas said, he could practically hear the voice of teresa in his head yelling at him to be quiet. "don't forget about him."

hayley nodded solemnly and hopped off the bed. "are you okay?" she asked sincerely, like she really wanted to know. teresa never asked him that.

something about her made thomas want to tell her everything. she seemed so innocent and he felt a connection with her. her large liquid grey eyes held such an intelligence and serenity that it was impossible for him not to be held prisoner by them. but he couldn't.

"i just miss him too," he said, referring to chuck.

she managed to give him a small smile. "how could you not?"

"goodnight, thomas," she said and left the room.

her name has been changed from violet to hayley :)
sorry if it confuses you but i wanted a new name for this updated version.

Share. Vote. Comment.
If you want more xx