1o : promise

☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒

☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒

in his sleep he heard the creaking of a door and a light whispering. he opened his eyes and strained his eyes against the dark to see who was across the room. he recognized her instantly. "hayley?" he called out, his voice still groggy from the lack of sleep.

she stepped closer to him and kneeled down beside his bed so that their eyes were level to each other. hayley placed the palm of her hand on his cheek.

even though she was right there in front of him, he still couldn't believe it was really her. "i have to be dreaming," he said thinking he was still sleeping.

she smiled. "it's me."

he jumped up from his bed and she stood up, alarmed but he pulled her into a warm embrace. he lifted her slightly off the ground and spun around, causing her to laugh and hold onto him tighter.

he set her down and placed his hands on both sides of her cheeks, looking at every detail. "you're really here.." he said in disbelief.

her eyes moved to the door behind him. "not without some help."

thomas turned around to see teresa standing in the door frame. she looked exhausted and her eyes were filled with sadness. "i owe you for putting you in this mess, both of you. i'll be back in the morning to bring you back before anyone finds out."

her eyes shifted to his as a tear streamed down her cheek. without another word, she turned and left the room, closing the door softly behind her.

he was always really close to teresa, ever since they were kids but they drifted when she came up with the idea to send opposite genders to different groups. despite that, he couldn't help but feel the need to run after her.

"thomas," hayley said, pulling his attention away from the door. "go."

"what? no," he said. "i'm not leaving you."

"i'm not going anywhere," she said. "at least not tonight. i'll be here when you come back."

hayley crossed the room and opened the door, peering into the hallway before looking back at thomas. "she's waiting for the elevator. you have time."

thomas sighed and walked out, but not before looking hayley straight in the eye and saying, "i'll be back."

"i know," hayley smiled.