21 : you're blind, newt

☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒

☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒ ☒

hayley watched newt leave to attend the gathering. he didn't say much about it, except that the keepers were going to meet to discuss things.

she sat down with her back against the maze wall, not knowing what else to do when she noticed thomas kneeling down under the homestead window.

she walked over to him and tapped him on the shoulder. he jumped and turned around. "you're not supposed to be listening in," she whispered.

"you're right," said thomas. "we should go."

her expression fell. "why? how bad is it?"

she already guessed she's what they needed to discuss and she didn't care but now she was curious to know what they were saying. she knelt down beside thomas and closed her eyes, focusing on what they were saying.

"we can't just ignore the fact that she's a girl," said a voice she didn't recognize. "for years only boys were sent here. we don't know what she's doing here and why."

"we don't know what any of us are doin' here and why," came from newt. he sounded irritated and pissed off. "her being here hasn't changed a damn thing."

"she's not supposed to be here!" someone yelled.

"she hasn't done anythin' wrong!" newt yelled back. "the lot of you have done more damage to the glade than she has. i find it bloody ridiculous that we're even having this gathering."

"you're blind, newt," someone said. "you need to stop treating her like she's somethin' special. she's a problem!"

there was a loud commotion and yelling coming from the homestead. hayley couldn't stop herself from peering through the window to see what was happening. a boy was on the ground, held down by newt. newt's lip was bleeding as he punched the boy on the floor in the jaw until someone pulled newt away.

"just buggin' back off alright?" newt yelled, rubbing the blood off his lip with the back of his hand.

"i can't watch this..." hayley whispered and walked away.

thomas chased after her but lost her in the trees.