35 : please don't hurt him

hayley wandered around the glade, not really knowing what else to do since supper was still a little time away

hayley wandered around the glade, not really knowing what else to do since supper was still a little time away. she couldn't find thomas, newt, or ashton. thomas was probably still working at his assigned job for the day and ashton was a builder so she knew he was somewhere in the forest. newt was usually always around but now he was nowhere to be seen.

she found herself passing by the box and stopped to look. it was just as dark and scary as she remembered it. being in the box was easily the scariest moment of her life, from what she could remember anyways. her stomach still tightened whenever she thought about it.

she's met people in the glade that made it a little less frightening, but the nightmares ceased to go away. she hated the glade, and she couldn't even imagine being there during the dark days. she respected ashton for enduring it. he was stronger than she would ever be.

the wind picked up, blowing her long silvery-blond hair around her face.

that's when she heard the screams.

she took off running in the direction of the sounds without a second thought. they came from the forest. a couple more gladers heard the screams too and ran to the trees but she was far ahead.

moving as fast as she could, hayley crashed through the heavy foliage, thin branches slapping at her face. she ducked to avoid a low-hanging limb, almost falling. reaching out, she caught hold of a branch and swung herself forward to regain her balance. a thick bed of leaves and fallen twigs crunched underneath her.

hayley had ran thirty or forty feet into the woods, dodging and ducking and losing ground with every second, when she finally reached the source of the screams. 

it was thomas.

he was on the ground, pushing and swatting at his attacker who was on top of him, trying to bite into his shoulder. thomas's eyes found hers and they widened. "hayley, no!" he screamed but it was too late, she had already thrown her body against the boy, knocking him off of thomas.

hayley and the attacker tumbled down the short hill, their bodies tangled together until they crashed into the rocky ground. her head smashed against a sharp rock, making her vision go blurry. she slowly reached up and lightly touched the tips of her fingers against her stinging forehead. she felt something wet and sticky and put her hand in front of her eyes. they were stained red.