36 : emmett

hayley and thomas waited in one of the rooms for the med-jack

hayley and thomas waited in one of the rooms for the med-jack. ashton had to leave after getting yelled at by gally for not finishing his work task. gally didn't say a single word to her, which was odd considering how much he hated her.

thomas was standing next to her bed, still using the sleeve of his shirt to stop the bleeding on her forehead. "you didn't hesitate," he murmured.

"what?" she looked up at him.

"you didn't hesitate to throw yourself against ben," he said. he didn't sound mad. he sounded like he was just trying to fit the pieces together. "you could've gotten hurt way worse than you did. why did you do that, hayley?"

"because," she paused. she wanted so badly to tell him about the dream, memory or whatever it was, but she couldn't find the right words and it didn't seem like the right time to tell someone something that big while lying in a sick bed.

"because i care about you," she breathed.

the door opened and in stepped a boy, lugging in his arms a box. "my name's emmett and i'll be your server today. can i start you off with anything to drink while you take a look at the menu? i highly suggest the pasta, it's a glader favorite."

emmett was welcoming in body posture. he was tall and slightly muscular with a nonchalant demeanor. normally, someone would take one look at the blood on her forehead and go pale, but emmett looked like he's seen it a million times and he probably has, but she didn't expect to see him appear so calm and almost bored-like.

"heard what happened to ya," he said as he set the box down on the nightstand beside her and patted it. "took down big ben. figured we were gonna need this."

"i didn't exactly take him down," she said. "just took him by surprise. what's inside the box?" her curiosity peaking.

"just some things to stitch you up," emmett said casually. he must've had to do a lot of stitches on other gladers because he didn't look at all bothered by the idea. "by the looks of it i'm guessing you're gonna need 5 or 6 stitches. nothing major."