29 : welcome to the map room

he drew away and their kiss ended, but it was still fresh in her mind and the butterflies in her stomach ceased to wither

he drew away and their kiss ended, but it was still fresh in her mind and the butterflies in her stomach ceased to wither. she blushed and leaned against his chest in an attempt to hide her rosy cheeks. she could feel his chest move as he laughed.

she noticed alby making his way towards them and moved away from newt but he still held her hand in his. alby's eyes glazed down to their entwined hands but didn't comment on it. "get some rest tonight, you'll be joining the builders first thing in the morning. they like to start work early so they don't have to be working all night."

hayley felt newt tense up beside her. she looked up at him confusedly and he said, "gally's the keeper of the builders." his jaw clenched.

"oh," she said, looking down at the ground. so far every interaction she's had with gally has been unpleasant and she wasn't looking forward to spending almost an entire day with him. in fact, she was dreading it.

"she shouldn't have to work with him," newt said to alby. "you and i both know how dangerous that could be. gally has made it abundantly clear he doesn't like her. for the safety of hayley, we need to keep her away from him."

"the rules of the glade say that the greenie has to try out every job to find out where he," alby paused and quickly corrected himself. "or she, best fits. she won't be alone with him. there are other builders who will report to me if anything happens."

newt scoffed, earning himself a glare from alby.

"it'll be alright," hayley said. she looked up at the boy, wanting nothing more than to ease his fears.

"fine," said newt. "but i'm going with her."

alby was already shaking his head. "no, you have some things to do around the glade. we have a meeting with minho in five minutes. don't be late."