Chapter 18 - Dusk

Dusk stared and stared at the wall, refusing to blink. His eyes felt watery but he wasn't quitting the battle. But as his eyes fluttered close on their own, he cried in frustration. His hand brushed against his trousers side, coming in contact with the smooth skin of an apple. And then he remembered what he was supposed to be doing right now.

After Charles' peculiar behavior last night, he didn't want to do with anything relating to him. Sure, the apple wasn't meant for him, but merely keeping it close filled his mouth with a sour taste. He didn't go to Geoffrey immediately after, not wanting to disturb his sleep. All he could do was wait for the morning to come and then give it to him. And now when it had, Geoffrey was nowhere to be found.

He's not in the infirmary, he couldn't have gone to the training field. Only one place where he could be then.

Dusk strode over to the Great Hall and turned right, steps leading downward in front of him. He could hear the loud banging of pots, people yelling orders at each other. He ran down and gestured to the guards, who pulled the doors open for him.

The pungent aroma of spices and cooked herbs wafted all around him. Large cauldrons lay along the sides, people stirring them with large ladles. The others were busy spitting different meat in front of warm hearths. He wasn't surprised at the extensive preparations that were happening for supper, after what happened that morning.

"My son will be leaving on a journey to Gemageia tomorrow. It might be several days till he experiences the comfort of the palace once again. I want his last meal to be as grand as it can be; an unforgettable one. Make haste and prepare for the feast well. There shall be no mistakes."

Dusk's first thought was to object, but he couldn't bring himself to. Maybe it was the thought of a grand feast that stopped him, or the king's good intention. He wasn't sure himself. And now when he saw the grand preparations, he didn't regret his actions.

No one gave him a second look as he passed by, his eyes searching for a familiar figure amongst the cooks. But he couldn't spot Geoffrey anywhere and had turned around to leave, when a voice stopped him.

"Mm, this is really good, Winnie! No one cooks better than you in this entire palace."

"Oh, you flatter me, Geoffrey, but that isn't true! Mother and Isabel are better than me, even Fred."

"Nonsense, I don't believe that! No one can be better than you."

Dusk turned toward the voices and rolled his eyes. Geoffrey sat on a chair in the corner, his hands grasping a bowl. He was grinning at the petite girl in front of him. Her cheeks were tinged pink as she smiled, hands fiddling with her hair.

He walked up to them, smirking. "So her soup is the best then? But I thought you liked that girl's the most, what was her name again... Rose! Yes, Rose!"

Geoffrey's eyes widened as he took in Dusk. He jumped out of his chair and stepped backward. The girl gasped, quickly curtseying. "Um... hello, Du- I mean, Adrian! I didn't see you coming in," Geoffrey said, scratching his head.

"I wonder why," he said, glancing over to the girl. She looked angry now, her face flushed red. "I'm sorry for my friend's behavior, um-"

"Winifred, Your Royal Highness," she whispered. Her eyes were bright when she looked at him, before shyly ducking her head.

"Yes, Winifred! He can be quite a fool at times. Well, all the time." He turned back to Geoffrey. "As for you, what are you doing here? You were supposed to be resting in bed!"

"I just wanted some food," Geoffrey said. He kept aside the half-empty bowl, which was quickly snatched up by Winifred.

"You could have asked someone to bring it for you."