Chapter 16 - Dusk

Eight years ago

Corvale, Eldatrion

"Sir Charles, I hope I haven't disappointed you!"

"No, not at all, Robin. We couldn't have arrived this early without Maria and your help. Horses would have taken us months to arrive, anyway."

"I'm glad that I could be of help to Lady Madison and you! But if you don't mind, may I ask you something?"

"Fine, but make it quick."

"Why did you go all the way to Gemageia for this boy? I'm aware that the King is searching for an heir... but him? A peasant's son?"

The voices suddenly disappeared. But it didn't last for long as the duo began again in soft whispers.

Dusk tried catching their words but failed. His eyes opened the slightest as he stared at the cream-colored wall in front of him. He was lying on something soft and comfortable, thick blankets draped over him. And then he realized that it was a bed. He looked at in awe and wanted to snuggle in deeper but knew that it wasn't the right time.

Dusk propped himself on his elbow and saw the faint figures of two men standing in the far-off corner. One of them was an unfamiliar portly man, his brow furrowed. The other was the same man he had seen before. His gut churned with an unpleasant feeling at the sight, memories of the previous night rushing back to him. All he wanted to do was run somewhere far far away; away from the man's reach.

He hopped down the bed, careful to not make any sound. The door was just a little to his left, wide open. Dusk tiptoed his way toward it, anxiously glancing in the two men's direction every few seconds. But they hadn't seemed to notice him, engrossed in their conversation, as he quickly shot outside.

Dusk ran down the long corridor, careful to not crash into the few people around. Their eyes raked over his dirty, torn clothing as he passed, but he didn't pay heed to them, too busy admiring his surroundings. Tapestries hung on each side of him, portraits of unfamiliar faces glaring at him. Large chandeliers hung above his head and it took him all his willpower to not stop and gawk. He turned around the corner and saw that this corridor had a similar look as well.

This place is so big and magical! And it's shiny! Is this a palace?

"Out of the way!" someone suddenly yelled. He had just barely looked toward his right when a large force came crashing into his side, knocking him off his feet. He fell on the soft red carpet, someone landing on top of him. A groan left him as the person quickly shuffled back to their feet. "I'm so sorry about that! I didn't mean to crash into you!" He was pulled back up, the person now keenly staring at him.

Dusk stared right back at the boy, craning his neck to look him in the eye. He was almost a head taller than him, a few years older as well. His sea green eyes peeked at Dusk from under his large plaid cap.

"Master Geoffrey, please stop!" Dusk heard someone call, the boy jumping at the sound.

"What should I do? Where should I hide?" he muttered, looking around agitatedly. And then he looked at Dusk, eyes lighting up. He unrolled the golden scarf from his neck and quickly tied it around a stunned Dusk, setting the cap atop his head. He lowered it so that his light blonde hair were covered, smiling widely. "Now you're Geoffrey!" he cried and leapt into the nearest room, shutting the door behind him.

Dusk just stood there for a few moments, staring at the door from where the other boy had escaped. And then his eyes widened with realization. His hand went to the scarf to remove it, when he suddenly felt someone grip his shoulder. He froze, keeping his gaze fixated on the carpet.