Chapter 19 - Dawn

"You're finally back, Father! I missed you so much!"

Dawn felt her brother pulling out of her grip as he ran forward. He almost collided with the man's legs, but the latter swiftly scooped him up. He squealed in surprise before bursting into soft giggles, his arms wounding around the man's neck.

"You've become heavier, Dusk," her father said, smiling. "And taller! Your mother's been feeding you well, eh?"

Dusk's head bobbed up and down vigorously. "Oh yes, she gives me a lot of food. It used to be lesser before, but now I'm rarely hungry. Even Dawn agrees!"

Her father's gaze swept over to her. His smile widened as he beckoned to her with one hand. "Ah, Dawn, I was wondering where you had gone to. Won't you come and hug your father?"

Dawn hesitated for a moment, before shyly stepping closer. The top of her head reached only till his waist, so she only embraced his legs. Something bushy curled near her feet, as she glanced down at the black kitten.

"I missed you too, Jane." Her father chuckled. His hand patted her head once, before he ruffled up her hair wildly.

"Father!" she whined, pulling away. "Mother had just made my hair."

"That was my intention," he said, winking.

Dusk laughed, grinning. "You look like an ape, Dawn!"

Dawn glared at him. "Let's see who's an ape after this." She took a step toward him and reached out to his dangling ankle.

"Dawn!"

Someone suddenly grasped her shoulders from behind, steering her away. She was flipped around, her mother's familiar face glaring down at her. "You could have injured him, Dawn," she said, her tone stern. "Don't ever even think about doing that. And I'll make your hair again, don't fret."

"Go easy on the girl, Joan. Dusk started it anyway." Her father gently set Dusk on his feet again, who now had a guilty smile on his face. He patted down Dawn's hair before slinging an arm around her shoulder.

"Don't worry about being an ape," he said. "You'll still look pretty to me if, even if you're an ape."

Dawn struggled to keep her expression straight, but Dusk only grinned wider. He was still talking to her, his tone louder. But Dawn's attention was focused elsewhere now, as she saw her mother walking toward her father.

She smiled before wrapping her arms around her father in an embrace. He hugged her back at once. Dawn expected them to hold onto each other for a longer time, seeing that her father was returning after a few months now. It was the longest he had ever been away from home. But she was wrong.

They pulled away after some moments itself, staring at each other. Her mother was looking at him almost quizzically, trying to read his eyes. Dawn couldn't get heads or tails of the situation, until her father finally nodded. An almost goofy grin took over his features. She saw her mother smiling back, but hers seemed almost forced. Like she was hiding her true feelings.

Dawn frowned. It wasn't the first time she had seen something like this. She couldn't remember when she had first started noticing the peculiar aspects of her parents' relationship. For two people who claimed to be in love, the indifference they often displayed toward each other was appalling.

They thought that no one ever noticed. But she always did. Always.

When she had told Dusk about it, he only laughed. He suggested that maybe they weren't comfortable with displaying their affections in front of anyone; not even their own children. She wished she could believe his theory and be as nonchalant about the whole matter like him.