Chapter 4 - Dusk

Clang!

Slicing through the air, the boy's sword clanged down on his opponent's. The sharp metallic sound resonated in the wide arena, spectators sucking in deep breaths. He could see people leaning in their seats for a closer look from the corner of his eye. The tension was palpable enough for the boy to even touch it, if he wanted. He smirked.

Well, well, the people look like they're having fun. Why wouldn't they when their famed 'champion' is up against a mere child? Especially one who comes from Eldatrion. Heh, what a mistake to underestimate me.

The boy turned his attention back to the fight, only to see a sword swinging right toward him. He smoothly slid to his right and dodged it, the sword finding thin air. With a graceful twirl of his feet, he thrust his own sword forward. But the man blocked it. Metal struck metal once more.

The boy knew what he was getting himself into when he had chosen his opponent. He knew it wasn't going to be a easy match against the celebrated arena champion. The man was known to be merciless, savage, and never one to back down from a fight. To go up against him was to sign your own death warrant.

Exactly the kind of opponent the boy wanted.

The two opponents traded feints, thrusts and parries with unbelievable speed, almost impossible to follow. The only sound heard was the sharp clanging of swords. Sweat rolled down their faces, their eyes bloodshot as they sized up each other. Both knew that one wrong move could bring them close to death. But their reputations were at stake. Losing wasn't an option.

"Give up, child," the brawny man said, breathing heavily. "You can't win this match."

"I never give up," the boy replied, sweat dripping into his eyes. He was tempted to wipe his eyes but knew he couldn't, and simply blinked them away.

The man scowled and brought his face closer to the boy's. "I'm one of the best warriors of Serrtona," he whispered, their breaths mingling. "There's no way a child like you can beat me. Not a single man has ever won a duel against me and neither will you."

"I always love a good challenge," the boy whispered back, grinning to himself. He swung his sword and feinted to the right but the man had been expecting it. He deflected the blow easily, the swords striking each other.

The man smirked. "Rookie move. I can't expect any better from an amateur like you."

Rookie move? Amateur? We'll see about that.

The boy smiled and brought his hand near to the man's sword. He cupped the edge in his hand, fingertips brushing against the sharp blade. "What the..." the man breathed, his eyes widening.

Icy sparks flew from the boy's fingers, spreading through the blade. A frosty sheen coated the massive sword in mere seconds, gleaming in the harsh sunlight.

The boy brought his sword up and with a powerful blow, struck the frozen blade. It shattered into several pieces, one of them piercing the man's eye. He roared in pain, cupping his injured eye. Blood ran down his fingers, splattered across his rugged face.Pulling the shard from his eye, blood seeped through the cracks in Hugh's fingers. Although he tried to cover it, there was no mistaking that all remnants had been removed from the empty orbit.

"Ouch, that must have hurt." The boy winced, though his voice lacked any sympathy.

"You're going to pay for that!" the man growled.

The boy shrugged and crossed his arms. He wedged his long sword into the ground, leaning against it. "I think it's obvious that I won," he said. His almond eyes were shining with triumph, a smirk adorning his handsome features. "Your weapon is broken; your eye is busted. You really think you can even fight anymore? I don't think so."