Chapter 22 - Dusk

Dusk was falling.

The thought had barely passed through him when he felt himself sink into a cool, wet substance. There was a muffled splashing sound from somewhere near him. It reminded him of water, making him feel like he was sinking.

That's when he realized he couldn't breathe.

His eyes flew open. He jerked his head out of the freezing water, gulping in mouthfuls of air. Water droplets were falling into his eyes, blurring his vision. He rubbed at them before looking around himself.

He was lying in a large wooden bathtub, the water creating slight ripples on each side of him. Light streaming in from the open windows illuminated the ornate full-length mirror that was in front of him, a quaint little sink beside it. There was a partition drawn that obstructed his view from the rest of his chambers, but he could make out the outline of a glass table and armchairs. Everything was just as it had always been in his chambers.

This does look like my bedroom, but I'm sure I was sleeping on my bed. How'd I even get here then?

"And that's how you wake a sleeping royal each day. No need to take a bath then."

Dusk's head swerved to his right, gaze landing on a familiar figure. Geoffrey peeking out at him from the side of the partition, arms crossed nonchlantly. He was smiling smugly at him, the mischievous gleam in his eyes caught by Dusk.

And then it all starting fitting in place.

"Did you just-" Dusk started.

Geoffrey nodded.

"You actually threw me into the bathtub?" Dusk yelled, staring up at him in annoyance. "I was sleeping, Geoff! Sleeping. Couldn't you wake me up in a more normal way?"

"That would be no fun." A pout came onto his face for a moment, before it faded away. "Besides, you deserved that after what you did yesterday."

"Yesterday?"

Geoffrey only stared at him. He was about to ask him again but before he could, memories of the previous evening came flooding back to him. The duel. Marion. He lost.

Dusk groaned, shaking his head. "It wasn't a fair duel," he said, propping himself up. Water fell off of him as he stood, his clothes clinging to his drenched body. He glared daggers at Geoffrey. "And this was a very extreme thing to do. Especially to the prince."

"Why do you keep claiming that it wasn't fair?" Geoffrey asked, ignoring his other statement. "You can't be sure that she used her powers if you don't even know what they are."

"That's exactly the problem," he muttered. "I tried asking her before but she refused to tell me because..." His voice trailed off.

"Because?" Geoffrey urged.

No, I can't tell him. Even if Marion did defeat me, I can't break the promise I made to her. And if Charles is behind this, telling Geoff would be the wrong move.

"Because... telling it to another person will put them in danger," Dusk lied, putting on a fake smile.

"Really? But how?"

"Stop asking me when I don't know either," he snapped. "Go ask her yourself."

Geoffrey blinked. "Then maybe I will. You don't need to be rude, Adrian." He stood up. "Anyway, Charles asked me to give you the clothes you'll be needing for the journey. I've kept them on the bed. Hurry up and change."

He first didn't understand what Geoffrey meant by journey, but then it all came back to him. The king had ordered him to bring King Asher to Eldatrion. He hadn't told Geoffrey anything, but yet he knew.