Chapter 7 - Dawn

Nine years ago

Shadowdale, Gemageia

"Dawn, look what I found!" a little boy squealed from behind her. Before Dawn could get a chance to turn around, something heavy slammed into her, knocking her off her feet. Her forehead smashed against the rocky pavement, crumbly dirt sweeping into her mouth. She felt someone heavy lying on top of her, their knee digging into her thigh.

"Geroff me, Dusk!" she cried, her voice muffled. She felt her brother's hands pressing against her back, using her as a support to lift himself up. The pressure above her disappeared slowly as Dawn sighed in relief.

Her fingers scraped against the muddy ground as she climbed to her feet, wiping her forehead with the back of her hand. Glancing down at her clothes, she gasped. Her gray frock was patterned with mud splotches, the plain color hidden behind them. A deep gash ran down her right sleeve, exposing her pale skin.

Dawn turned towards the boy standing in front of her, glowering at him. "Look what you did to my dress, Dusk!" she whined.

"You were in the way!" Dusk said, pointing an accusing finger at her. He scratched the tufts of his light blonde hair. They were wearing the same clothes, the only difference being the tight trousers he wore under the tunic. "I even called out but you didn't listen." His gaze rose to her mouth as he erupted into a fit of giggles. He tried muffling it with his hand but wasn't able to.

"What's so funny?" she asked, scowlingat him.

He continued laughing, his face bright red. "You shouldn't eat dirt, Dawn," he spluttered, trying to keep his face straight. "It isn't good."

Taken aback by his answer, Dawn placed a hand on her mouth and breathed on it. The mucky smell of dirt contaminated her fingers as she scrunched up her face in disgust. She whirled away from him and spat on the ground.

Dusk didn't try hiding his amuse and burst into laughs, grinning at the sight of his sister. He doubled over, clutching his kneecaps. "This is so funny!" he howled.

Dawn's face flamed with a mixture of embarrassment and anger. Her tiny hands balled into fists as she strode towards her brother. She opened her mouth to speak but before she could say something, Dusk shoved his hand into her face.

She found herself staring at several gleaming, golden disks, their surfaces shining in the pale moonlight. The face of a scowling man was stamped onto it, a crown sitting atop his head. Dawn's eyes widened as she snatched one of them into her hand. "Is that a raedo?" she whispered, examining the coin closely.

Dusk nodded, puffing his chest out in pride. "I found them on the ground!" he said and grinned, his front teeth missing. "Now father will be able to send those mean people away from our home! I don't like it when he's sad!"

Dawn gazed at her brother, awed by the deep concern he showed for their father. Her gaze flitted to the raedo in her hand and back to Dusk. She walked towards him as his smile disappeared, replaced by a frown. She raised her hand, her brother closing his eyes in anticipation of the blow. But it never came.

Dawn had pulled him into a hug, her arms wrapped around his back. He didn't respond for a moment before hugging her back. She pulled away and dropped the raedo into his hand. He stared at her open-mouthed, closing his fist around the jangling raedos. "Dawn..." he started.

She shook her head and sighed. "You are so nice, Dusk," she said in a low voice. "I wish I was like you and not so an-angry."

Dusk shook his head vigorously, his lips turning downward into a frown. "No, you're good! It's alright to be angry. We're twins," a skeptical expression came onto his face at the word, "so it's nice we are not the same. Mother wouldn't like that."