Chapter 15 - Dawn

A cold feeling spread through Dawn at the man's words, her breathing turning shallow. She wanted to move away, but her feet were rooted to the spot.

A prison... So Abby was serious about this place after all. But why did she bring us here? Does she really want us to spend the night here, where a bunch of... crooks won't hesitate to kill us in our sleep? What are you thinking, Abby...

"Since you've already recognized me, how about we get straight to business?" Abigail said, her voice strong and clear. "Who has been here for the longest period? I want to speak with him at once."

The lantern jiggled once, the man muttering inaudibly, before it was set atop a stand. As if on cue, similar lights blazed around them suddenly, faint lanterns now visible. Dawn's first thought was that the man was a magic user, just like them. But then she saw the figures standing below each lantern, realization hitting her.

And then the trapped feeling finally sunk in.

Wide eyes were staring at their huddled group from each direction, unblinking at the sight. Men and women had formed something like a circle around them, effectively blocking any way out. Some looked furious at their sudden arrival, the others giving Abigail fearful glances. And to her surprise, she even saw a few children cowering behind the adults. They stared at her with wide eyes, clearly frightened of them.

The man's words had revealed her true identity, so even if they tried backing out of it now, Dawn knew that it would have no effect on the people.

"Now then," the man said, "I suspect you can already see that you're not trusted in these parts, Shadow leader. But I suppose I'll hear you out this once, before my fellow inmates decide to kill you."

The man threw his head back and laughed at his own words, like they were a mere joke. Abigail took a sharp intake of breath, Janet faintly cursing behind her. In the light, Dawn just realized how much more... menacing the man actually looked. A bushy beard hung off his chin, food crumbs scattered all over it. He was dressed in nothing but loose gray trousers and a black vest, the skin underneath visible. But then her gaze flitted over to his face, a gasp almost leaving her. One side of his face was covered with deep, red claw marks that went straight from his left eye to his mouth. She wondered about how they came to be.

The man, finally noticing Dawn staring, scowled at her. He took a step forward but Abigail intercepted. "Look, we don't want any trouble," she said. "You already seem to know quite a bit about me, even though I believe we haven't met before. I have visited this place only once before. But this time, I'm here for something. A proposition that you won't be able to refuse."

"And what would that be?" the man growled, all pleasantness gone from his tone.

"If you vow to spare me and all of my companions, I will help you break out of this prison in return," Abigail said. "You won't have to live in this rotting place anymore, or worry about heading to the king in Dormere," she continued. "You'll be living a safe life in the town, I promise you."

As soon as she finished, two things happened at once. A few people stepped away from the circle a little reluctantly, their expressions now hesitant. While at the same time, a few yelled angrily and charged at their group. Before Dawn could get the time to react, she saw a lady holding a knife running straight toward her. The breath was stuck in her throat at the weapon's closeness. She didn't even have to look around to know that the others were in the same situation.

"Marcus, what is the meaning of this?" the man asked, his tone exasperated.

"Don't tell me you actually believe this sly vixen, Quinn!" someone hissed from behind Dawn, the man in front of Abigail speaking. "We both know how devious the Shadows actually are. All they can do is put on a pretense that they're trying to liberate Gemageia and help everyone out. But you've seen yourself how they look down upon normal people like us, only caring about their own kind. They're as bad as the king! I say we kill all of these people right here and now!"