Chapter 27 - Dawn

He didn't say anything at first. Dawn's nervousness washed over her in waves, her thoughts in a raging turmoil. She couldn't help the question from escaping her once he had called her sister. No one except Dusk would say that.

But it just couldn't be him, could it?

Before she could repeat her question, she felt his shoulders rock with laughter once more. The hearty sound echoed all around them in what should have meant reassuring. All it did though was have the opposite effect on her. Goosebumps rose on her arms.

"In the flesh," he finally said.

Dawn stifled a gasp. She tore away from his comforting grip. His absence left a disappointed feeling within her but she reluctantly ignored it. Then she breathed deeply and let her gaze roam over the strange boy.

A mud-stained gray tunic hung over his body. His pants were tattered and torn in multiple places. She could even see the thin seams where the material had been stitched back together. What was strange was the cloak. It was shockingly clean. No ruffles and no stains. Its hood had been pulled low over his face, obscuring his features from view. All she could see was the amused smile dancing on his lips and the shadow of his eyes.

The foreboding feeling from before gripped her again, as she shook it off angrily. Now you're just being ridiculous, Dawn. There's nothing to fear from, Dusk. He's your brother!

If he is your brother, you mean. A small voice echoed back in her mind.

Her eyes widened. She glanced up at Dusk, who was now looking at her with slight worry. No, it was him. It had to be him. If she let her doubt of this young man being a mere imposter fester any further, it would consume her whole. Now she'd tell him that she believed him-

"Prove it."

He blinked. "What?"

"If you're really Dusk, then prove it to me," Dawn said. She was surprised at how steady her voice sounded, despite her mind's inner turmoil. "Tell me one thing that Dusk – and Dusk alone – would know. A secret I only told him."

I can't believe I'm actually doing this. I have no reason to suspect Dusk. But still... I can't just ignore this nagging feeling either. Just one confirmation and I'll know it's him.

She could feel Dusk's gaze boring into her, his head slightly tilted to the side. "Remember the melody?" he started in a low voice. "Our melody?" At Dawn's gasp, he smiled. "I still remember the day you first told me about it. You don't know how relieved I was to know that I wasn't the only one who could hear it."

Dawn felt her throat clog with a sudden flurry of emotions. She could only nod to every word of his, keeping her tears at bay. To think he still remembered about their melody. Even she had forgotten about it until now. Yet he hadn't.

Ever since she had been a child, a song had played within her head. A melody. The unknown woman's words flowed like a beautiful wave in her mind. And though she could not understand them, the mere sound soothed her to the core. It made her feel like she had nothing to fear from the world as long as the woman's voice was with her. All her worries, troubles and problems seemed trivial when the music was around.

Her mother had said she had a wild imagination when she mentioned it. But she knew it was real. It had to be. She had decided to confide in Dusk one dreary day, yet had little hope that he would believe her. But she was wrong. He could hear it too. She wasn't the only one.

Since then, it had existed for both of them. It was their beacon of hope that existed whenever things seemed dire in their tragic peasant lives. The one thing that shone in the darkness when the sun went out. The one that always kept them going. It was their secret. Their melody.