Burgers and Milkshakes // Steve Harrington

You nodded your head along to the record player set up in the corner of your room. Notes from your history class were scattered across your bed, in the hopes that the information they held would make its way into your head. The history final was tomorrow, and you had to pass it if you wanted to study history in college.

Throwing yourself back onto your pillows, you sigh. The record player was blasting out ABBA, and you knew that you would have to change it to side B shortly but at least that would give you a break from studying the Stamp Act of 1775. You rub your eyes as the next song starts to play; you want nothing more than to take a break, but this exam was so incredibly important to your future. Since you were a little girl, you had dreamed of working in a museum. Physical remains of the past still existing today for people too look at fascinated you and you would do whatever it took to get a job in a museum.

You feel yourself start to fall asleep when there's a knock at your bedroom door. You pull yourself away from your bed, being careful not to jostle the mountains of textbooks and notes, and head to open your door. You know who it is before you've even touched the door handle; it's Steve. He had been distant these past few weeks due to the break up with Nancy and the youngest Byer's kid falling ill. Steve would be the first to admit that he had neglected you and your friendship, but he was trying his hardest to patch everything up before the end of senior year and graduation. He was thrilled when you told him you were applying to a couple on in-state colleges; you didn't want to move away from your family and Steve completely, you'd miss them too much. However, Steve was thrilled about your college applications for another reason. He didn't want you to go too far because, to put it simply, he was in love with you. He hadn't been able to accept it himself until Dustin screamed it at him, but he was; he was utterly in love with every single thing about you. From the top of your head to the soles of your feet.

Steve pulls you into a hug when you open the door. His arms envelop you and you melt into him. From the stress of exams and college applications, a trademarked Harrington Hug was just what you needed.

"Your mum called. She said that you've been studying since ten this morning."

You mumble into Steve's chest, "What's wrong with that?"

"(Y/N) it's almost seven in the evening."

You pull back, gazing up into his eyes in shock. "No way. You're lying to me now Harrington."

Leaving the warm embrace, you check the clock on your bedside table, a hand coming up to your mouth in shock wen you realise that Steve is right. It's almost 7pm, you've been studying the whole day and you don't feel ready for this exam one bit.

Steve can clearly see that you're about to panic so he grabs your hand and says, "You're going to be fine. Yes, I know how much this exam means to you, but you've studied for nine hours straight without a break. Just one break won't hurt, okay?"

You look into his brown eyes that you love so much, and you feel resolve practically shatter into pieces. You nod, "Okay, one break! Then I'm studying until I have to sleep. Deal?"

Steve smiles widely, "Deal. Right, the plan is to get you some food because if I know you, and I do, then you haven't eaten since breakfast, so I propose burgers and milkshakes. I've been craving Benny's all day. But first..."

He trails off, looking around your room. Your eyes follow him; eyebrows furrowing when you see his attention has shifted to your record player where your ABBA record has finished playing side A. Steve walks across the room to the record player and switches to side B; it isn't long before your favourite ABBA song starts to play. 'Does Your Mother Know' plays loudly and Steve starts to sing along despite the fact that he isn't the biggest ABBA fan; he only knows the lyrics because of the amount of times you've begged to keep the song on whenever it has come on, on the radio in his car when you two have been driving around Hawkins on a weekend.

He turns to you, "Dance with me! C'mon! it'll be fun."

He's smiling widely as he starts to dance towards you; you're laughing at his moves, but you grab his hand when he stretches it out and he twirls you around the room. Both laughing and singing along in the worst voices possible. The song is over too quickly, and the next song starts to play; it's upbeat but Steve doesn't pay much attention, he just pulls you closer to him and you both start to sway side to side. His head resting on top of yours and you hiding your face in his chest, inhaling the smell of his cologne.

"I'm nervous." You state, holding onto him that little bit tighter; you can't help the warm feeling that spreads through your chest when he wraps his arms around you tighter.

"I know you are." He answers, dropping a kiss onto your head.

You two remain in that stance for a while, no longer swaying. Your both in your won little worlds, happy with the comfortable silence between you two. You, letting your love for Steve consume you; and Steve, he's thinking about confessing his feelings tonight.

It's Steve who breaks the embrace, with one last kiss to your head, he says "Come on. You can tell me everything that's on your mind over a burger and a vanilla milkshake."

You let him pull you out of the room, ready to tell him everything.