Here When You Wake // Eddie Munson

There was no explaining the relief that spread through your chest when you found Eddie alive and unharmed, hiding in the boathouse of his supplier out by Lover's Lake. Clearly exhausted and terrified, he was still in one piece.

It was a sweet reunion for Dustin; happy to see his friend as safe as he could be. Yet, you couldn't ignore the anxious undercurrent that ran through the atmosphere. Anxiety that was brought to ahead when sirens were heard in the distance.

"Hide Eddie!"

At Dustin's warning, Eddie ducks under the blue tarpaulin. Sirens rush past the boathouse; police cars and ambulances speeding up the road. An unspoken agreement rang through the group. Steve led the way, standing first, followed quickly by Robin and Dustin.

"You aren't just leaving me here?" Eddie splutters in disbelief, sitting up in the boat. "Alone?"

"We have to check out the sirens," Steve argues, already making his way to the door. "We have to figure out what's happening here."

"But do you all need to go?"

There's a pause before Steve nods. "Guess not. Who's staying behind?"

"I will," You answer, stepping forward, flashing a calm smile towards Eddie. "Dustin and Max will keep me informed. They always do."

"Alright," Steve nods, not wholly happy with the idea but lacking the effort to argue further. "We shouldn't be too long."

They leave in a hurry, wanting to get to the scene of the sirens before the news vans and reporters descend. As Steve's car speeds up the drive, you get your first good look at Eddie.

He's a wreck. A tremor in his hands that he's trying his best to hide. Dark circles line his eyes from where he hasn't slept or has slept but woken up from nightmares. You can see the clear fear and worry in his brown eyes; constantly having to check over his shoulder and flinching at every loud sound.

You drop down next to Eddie in his makeshift hideout. The boat creaks with age, protesting as you throw the blue tarpaulin over the side. Eddie doesn't comment but he watches you warily. With a winning smile, you address the falsely accused brunette. "What? I had to make room."

"For what?"

"When was the last time you slept, Eddie?"

He freezes in place, thinking back to his last peaceful night. "A full night's sleep? The night before Chrissy."

"Oh Eddie..."

"I've had an hour here and there," He murmurs, running a hand over his face, looking so dog-tired. "But then I hear a siren, or I hear Chrissy's bones snap and I wake up terrified."

"That settles it then," You declare, offering no further explanation. Reaching into your bag, you pull out two items. A much beloved and battered paperback, and your favourite cardigan.

Amused and curious, Eddie eyes the two items. "Do you always carry a book with you?"

"Yes," You answer as if carrying a book around with you was something out of the ordinary.

"What are you doing?" Eddie asks as he watches you fight with the buttons of the patterned cardigan.

"Making you a pillow," You reply. You fold the cardigan into something that resembles a pillow. You place it onto your lap, explaining to the metalhead, "It's a lot comfier than the floor of a boat."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure."

Eddie hesitates; brown eyes flashing between your lap and your face. "What are you going to do if I sleep?"