I Drove All Night // S.H.

"What do you mean you aren't coming home for Thanksgiving?" Steve all but yells down the phone.

"I mean exactly that," You answer, the connection poor. "I have too much to do. Three essays due all around the same time as well as studying for my exams. I want to do well, Steve. You know how much this means to me."

"I know," He breathes, "I was looking forward to seeing you, that's all."

"I was too, babe."

"You're coming home for Christmas though, right?" Steve asks, completely aware of how needy he sounds.

His mood brightens at the sound of your laughter coming through the phone. "Yes," You confirm, "I'll be back home for Christmas."

A breath of relief rushes through at your words. "Alright," Steve concedes. "I have to go, I'm closing today. Talk to you tomorrow – I love you."

"I love you too," You answer easily before hanging up, leaving Steve to wallow in his disappointment.

The disappointment hangs over him for the majority of his shift. His mind running through the conversation. Steve knew how dedicated you were to your work; wanting to get the best grades possible, and to maintain them.

He understood that. Your dedication to your education was one of the things he loves most about you, but... he missed you.

He really, really missed you.

It had been three months since he had last seen you in person. Three months since he had heard your laugh, seen your smile, felt you pressed against him in the middle of the night.

Dammit, he just missed you.

Steve continues to mope for the rest of his shift. Not even watching Robin flail and do her best to flirt with Vickie, the clarinet player from band, could improve his mood.

"Has he been like this all day?" Dustin asks five minutes after entering the video rental store.

"Pretty much," Robin confirms, reaching for her drink.

Dustin frowns, knowing full well what Steve could be like when in one of his moods. He sidles up beside Steve, nudging him with his elbow. "What's up, buttercup?"

Steve sighs. "(Y/N) rang. They aren't coming home for Thanksgiving."

"Ah," Dustin murmurs, reaching up to pat Steve on the shoulder. "I'm sorry, man. U know how much you were looking forward to seeing them."

Steve shrugs. "It's fine. It's whatever."

Dustin remains silent, letting Steve get a hold of his emotions. Dustin continues to remain silent as Steve bursts, "I just... I miss (Y/N)."

"Then why are you still here?" Dustin asks, confused.

"What?"

"Go to (Y/N). They can't come to you, so you go to them."

"I can't just go, Dustin. I have a job."

"I'll cover for you," Robin interrupts, joining in with the idea and blossoming in the hope of getting rid of mopey Steve. "Go, Steve."

He doesn't hesitate. Steve rushes from the store, patting down his pockets for his car keys. He rids himself of his work waistcoat, throwing it in the back of his car before setting off.

Steve makes two stops before hitting the road for the long drive down to your college dorm. The first to his house where he packs a bag in the hopes that you won't kick him out. The second to a gas station; filling his car, grabbing snacks and some flowers.

The radio is his only company on the long drive south to your college. Steve switches between stations, singing along to whatever he knows. Abba, Elvis Presley and Roy Orbison all the way to heavier songs by Kiss and AC/DC.

As Steve pulls onto your college campus, the clock above his radio tells him it is just after three in the morning. Pulling up outside of your building, Steve idles in the car, briefly second guessing all of his decisions over the course of the night.

Before he can talk himself out of it, Steve exits his car – flowers in one hand as he flattens his hair with the other. Peering up at what he's certain is your window, Steve isn't surprised to see a light on. You were known to pull all-nighters to ensure your work was complete and up to your standard.

He's at your door before he knows it. You're lucky enough to have the room to yourself after your prospective roommate dropped out before move-in day and the college never assigned you another.

One knock.

Two knocks.

Three.

The shock is plain on your face when you find Steve waiting on the other side of your door with a bunch of wilting flowers. Your heart leaps into your throat at the sight of him; dishevelled, obviously tired, but just as in love with you as you are with him. Before you can utter a word, Steve interrupts.

"I know I should have called but I was dying to get to you."

"Steve..."

"Let me finish," He pleads. "I miss you. I miss you so much it hurts." The words are plain but the emotion behind them is staggering. "I know your workload is crazy; essay after essay, exam after exam, but I couldn't go one more night without you."

A moment of silence passes before Steve says, "I've finished."

At those words, you pull Steve into a crushing hug. The cellophane wrapping of the flowers is crushed between your bodies, but neither of you could care as Steve's arm wraps around your waist so tightly you worry for a minute that it could snap right off. Your arms wind around Steve's neck, pulling you up to his height.

"I am so happy to see you," You breathe, tears springing to your eyes at the unexpected rush of joy that runs through your veins at the sight of Steve before you.

"You are?"

"I am," You whisper, inhaling the musky scent of Steve's cologne and instantly feeling at ease and at home. "I've missed you so much."

"Oh, thank God," Steve breathes, pressing his face to your hair and breathing in the familiar scent of your shampoo. "I thought you wouldn't want to see me."

"No!" You cry, "I always want to see you. It broke my heart to tell you I wasn't coming home for Thanksgiving."

"It broke mine a little too," He confesses. "I was moping at work. Dustin told me to get my shit together so here I am."

You snort at the mention of Dustin. "Here you are," You murmur, "And what shall we do now that you are here?"

"Two things," Steve purrs, smiling down at you. "One, I think you should lead me inside your room. And two, I think I should kiss you senseless."

"I like the sound of those, Harrington. Shall we?"

All feels right with the universe once again as you lead Steve into your room. Steve can finally breathe easy; he's driven all night and it's led him to you.