Rhythm and Blues // Eddie Munson

Hawkins, Indiana didn't have much going for it. A mall that closed down after a single summer, a government lab that was decommissioned after the death of a local teenager, and a withering high street that was hanging on by a single thread.

It was this thread that kept you employed. Whilst your fellow students spent their last summer at home partying and making promises they'll never keep, you worked evenings and weekends at Rhythm and Blues – the only music shop in all of Hawkins.

The shop had a steady stream of customers. There were those who wanted the latest Madonna EP, or those that were desperate to get their hands on the newest Kate Bush cassette. There were the younger teenagers that came into store to giggle and stare at the New Kids on the Block poster that your boss insisted on keeping up, claiming it was good for business.

Rhythm and Blues catered to all kinds of music tastes, but there was one customer who you could spend all day talking to about his taste in music.

The smile is already on your face when you hear bell chime above the shop door. Checking the watch on your left wrist, anticipation curls in your stomach as you spy the time. Like clockwork, you think to yourself.

"Is that my favourite music shop worker, I spy behind the counter?" He calls out from the door, his charm exuding from every pore.

"Ha! I'm the only person you know who works in a music shop, Eddie."

If it was at all possible, Eddie Munson's smile grows larger. He wanders through the shop, not pausing at any of the vinyl records that usually attract his attention. Instead, he jumps onto the counter, legs swinging out in front of him as he turns his charming smile onto you.

"What do you want?" You ask, raising an eyebrow in question as you try not to feel so affected by his proximity.

"Nothing," He answers, still smiling that ridiculous smile.

"I don't believe you."

Eddie sighs. "Can I hang here for a little bit? My uncle's gone to work, and I don't want to be on my own."

"You don't have to ask, Eddie. You're always welcome to keep me company."

He jumps down from the counter, allowing you some room to catch your breath. You cannot remember the exact moment you realised you had a crush on the metalhead; just that it absent one day, and then there in full force the next. It had knocked you sideways; how natural it felt to be attracted to the brunette.

Eddie wanders around the shop, pausing every now and then to flick through the countless records on show. You hide a smile when he grimaces at the sight of the latest New Kids on the Block compilation album.

"Do people enjoy listening to this?" He asks aloud, disgust clear in his tone.

"It's been our bestseller for the last two weeks," You rattle off, "I had to order some more before there was a riot."

Eddie drops the album back into its slot, clearly distressed with the state of Hawkins' music taste. "They aren't half bad," You defend, knowing it would get a rise out of the devoted metal fan. "They have some good songs."

Eddie turns on you; brown eyes wide with shock and upset. "Have you gone to the dark side, (Y/N)? Do you need help getting back?"

You laugh despite yourself. "Not exactly. Try having to listen to them for eight hours straight on a Saturday when the album had just been released. You get to know the songs pretty quickly after that."

"How painful for you."

"Thank you, Eddie Munson, for the clear sympathy in your voice," You snark, grinning at the brunette.