Mint Choc. Chip // S.H.

"Steve!" Robin calls from the counter. "They're here again!"

Steve rushes from the back room, stopping long enough to pull the sailor's cap onto his head as was company policy. His lips turn down at the feel of it against his head; his hair flattened by the obscure sailor hat.

"Where are they?" He asks, joining Robin out front, eyes scanning for the familiar face he's come to know over the last three weeks of summer.

Robin smirks. "They aren't here," She chuckles, "I just wanted to see how you would react."

"That isn't fair, Robin."

"What isn't fair?" A voice chimes from behind Steve.

Steve jumps; shocked at your sudden arrival. "Nothing," He stutters, smiling at you. "Nothing at all."

"If you say so," You state, reaching into your bag for your purse.

"Two scoops of mint chocolate chip with a chocolate flake," Steve announces before you could get the words out. He's already scooping your order before you finish agreeing, a small laugh leaving your lips.

"Am I that predictable?"

"Not at all," Steve flirts, handing you your tub of ice cream, thrilled at the way your fingers brush for even a second.

A polite smile passes over your face, holding up your ice cream in a silent gesture of thanks, you wave at Robin before turning to find your table. Steve cannot help but stare as you wander from the counter to sit at your usual table. You place your ice cream down before reaching into your back and pulling out a dark blue paperback that has a tasteful image of a shirtless man on the front cover. Steve watches happily as you tuck your bookmark into the back of the book before picking up where you left off. Curiosity grows within in him as you turn page after page, caught up in whatever chapter and plot point you were on.

"You have such a crush, it's ridiculous and quite frankly, disgusting," Robin deadpans, fixing Steve with an unimpressed look before heading into the back.

"I do not," Steve argues, wanting to get his point across. "Robin... I do not!" He shouts, following her into the back.

------------------

It takes him three days after Robin's attempt at a prank on him for Steve to approach you. His confidence wavers: a slight shake to his hands as he watches you from the counter. You're oblivious; utterly unaware of his pining, of his attempts to draw you into a longer conversation at the till.

Giving himself a shake, Steve pushes himself away from the counter, whispering affirmations under his breath. He was the King of Hawkins' High; he could handle this. He'd fought a Demogorgon and the Mind Flayer – at this point, he was invincible.

So why couldn't he approach you? Why couldn't start up the conversation he so desperately wanted to have with you?

Before the doubts get to him further, Steve approaches your table. "Hey," He greets smoothly, that famous Harrington smile stretched across his face as he runs a hand through his hair.

You startle slightly, jumping at the unexpected company. "Hi Steve," You smile, "Is everything okay?"

"You've been coming in here every single day for three weeks," Steve comments, leaning against your table. "You buy a two-scoop tub of mint chocolate chip with a chocolate flake before sitting at the same table to read a book... but the book changes every day."

"You're very observant."

Steve's cheeks flush with barely concealed embarrassment. "I just... what is it about this place, and how you read so goddamn fast?"