The Thing About Birds & Bees... { Hugh & Fiona!!}

Between Conference of the Birds and Desolations!! Contains spoilers for CoTB, ofc
Also I don't remember if it's explicitly said that Fiona gets a new tongue ( its been a while since I've read Desolations, all apologies) but I do remember her whispering something to Hugh!! So she can speak!! I think!!//
Hughs POV//

" The truth? 

" No one knows where birds came from. Everyone knows that bees hate birds, because birds are nasty and gross and one kind starts screaming at the crack of dawn simply because it's vocal cords work and therefore that has to be everyone else's problem. The best way to put it, bees like flowers and good things over those oppressive bird bastards. "

" Famously bad at explaining things as ever, I see."

" That much hasn't changed!" I leaned against Fiona's back, as she worked in the makeshift garden we had in the Acre. It was brilliant having her back, and I felt like no matter what I did, this feeling of relief would never go away. I had her back! And she was okay! Shaken up as all hell and still trying to get used to having a brand new tongue ( Those bone menders are peculiar, that's undeniable.), but back! Her voice was softer than usual, and her accent was off- to be fair, there was a BRAND NEW organ in her mouth- but she spoke and I heard her and on Henry and all my other bees, I had my Fiona back! 

She laughed softly, and I leaned further back, draping my head over her shoulder. Her hair, wild as ever and barely contained in a ponytail, danced across my neck and cheek, and she glanced at me by the corner of her eye. Her beautiful fucking eyes, oh, I could never get over them.
Fee was supposed to be resting, but she couldn't stand being in one place for too long. Mainly because everything she grew found its way back to her one way or another, and she was getting annoyed with all the vines growing through the windows at Ditch House. So over the last few days, I had been helping her set up a garden beside the house, not far enough away that it would be a problem should she need to rest again, but enough of a distance to keep Enoch's collection of organs out of her plants. 

" Can I get...?" Fiona faintly gestured to my torso, and I knew what she meant. What else would it be?

" Which ones?"

" Haven't you named them yet?"

" I wanted you to." I stood properly, taking my weight off of her back- Fiona was stronger ( and taller.) than me, so my hanging onto her like a lost child hardly bothered her. 

" I'll have a proper chance to meet your new friends, then. And name them, of course."

So I let my wonderful little bee friends loose. I had long since grown used to the continuous buzzing in my stomach, but I don't think I'd ever quite adapt to the slight burning sensation that came with them coming up my throat. It was faint, and sometimes they took my voice with them, but it was my peculiarity. These things are never all good.

Fee held her hand out, a couple bees landing on her palm and staring up at her. She was really pretty, and I swear I'm not just saying that because I'm her boyfriend. Her skin was dark, her smile kind, and her eyes full of adoration. She was tall— almost usually so, for a biological woman,— and strong, yet she was as gentle as gentle could be. She and Bronwyn got along well because of their strength— both motherly to different things. 

" I think we should name them after plants." She eventually said, setting the bees down on the flowers in her garden. 

" Again? Aren't they usually named after plants?"

" Plants are good. I'll think of a few. Come on, let's walk around for a bit so I can think."

We wandered down Louche Lane, a desperate attempt at almost pretending we weren't in the most disgusting loop known to man. There wasn't anywhere particularly nice in the Acre, but Louche Lane is the closest you'll get to civilized around here, so here we were.