Expanding on the Apoc! AU + more detailed char. descriptions!

If youre uninterested in AU world building, character descriptions for mentioned AU, or The Last of Us, you're completely free to skip this chapter! It's unrelated to all but one chapter ( REBEL GIRL!), so no damage is done :)

Hello, friends, foes, and beings of otherwise unspecified origins!! Recently, I published a chapter inspired by The Last of Us, specifically the second part because I prefer it over the first ( I know, I'm the outlier, hush up-), and I thought I'd expand on the concept and the idea of it as a whole, considering how vague most of the backstory might have seemed in the chapter itself.
This Apocalypse AU ( Alternate Universe, for those of you who haven't heard the term before) is merely inspired by TLOU and the universe it's set in. There's no intentional mentions of Ellie, Abby, or any of the other characters they're associated with. The environments I set Emma and the others in are based off the Seattle chapters of the game, the aquarium in specifics as well as the convention center mentioned early on. Both were areas you could explore in game! I was tempted to add in bits taking place in the same environments where you'd encounter Scars in game- the forests, the island where the Space Needle ends up- but I figured the chapter was already long enough as is. 

This AU is placed in summer of 2021, with obvious differences from our summer 2021. For one thing, the mild threats of WW3 taking place in January of 2020 weren't ever really legitimate, despite how idiotic our president at the time was and how it was a very real thing that could have happened. Rapidly thanking every God I can think of rn :eyeroll:. It's completely fictional, based on the idea of a some mutated nuclear fallout turning the dead and dying into these twisted, undead monsters. I didn't mention any specific zombies (walkers, undead, infected, whatever floats your boat man) past the " Sleeper" in the wall, which we then see Hugh digging through. Which... yuck, man, sorry about that. 
The Zombies in this AU won't be the infected from TLOU word for word, but rather will be more based on the undead from my own fictional world, which I won't go into hyperdetail on now simply because I'll be here forever. The overall idea is that a chemical was dropped and spread in the form of a gas, and anyone with open wounds was exposed and therefore infected by this gas, known as Chemical 7. Chem. 7 destroys everything living it touches once it enters the bloodstream, with the exception of the human brain. It turns the brain into this mutated mass of continuous electrical pulses, specifically focused on the hypothalamus, making the host continuously and endlessly hungry. That person is dead, there's nothing human left to them. But they won't die, so to speak, until their brain is completely destroyed.
Change chemical 7 into the result of a minor nuclear fallout, and you have the basic idea of what I was thinking for zombies in this AU. It's a total jumble of information, but it's there and I'm willing to elaborate more in the comments if it's needed lol. Zombie science is confusing-
If you are interested in learning more about my original world and the apocalyptic storyline that takes place in it, please let me know! I've been meaning to start a master book w/ all the lore in it anyways :)
Okay im done self promoting, moving on!!

I took a lot of creative liberty with the older character designs. Everyone is aged up just about 10 years, setting them all in their mid twenties or late teens physically. I'd use a piccrew to give you all visual representations, but the entire website is being difficult rn (maybe I'll come back and add them later? if I can't get it to work I might as well just make references myself lol)
Also, some of the ages are not at all canon accurate! Especially regarding Hugh and Fionas- I found it strange how a lot of people said they were 200+ when Enoch was said to the oldest in loop? Like everyone would have to be 118 or younger for that to be possible, with the exception of Miss. Peregrine. IDK man Ransom Riggs needs to give us canon ages so I can stop struggling every time I want to find out-

Emma Bloom: Physically 26, actually 98. Her blonde hair is cut short and choppy, layered heavily as if it was cut in the dark. Over time, Emma began to have the idea that the shorter, the better, all to prevent her being grabbed by her hair. Smart girl. Her wide green eyes have lost their luster, and she's tanner than she was before, yet still glow in the dark white. Emma Bloom spend more than 10 minutes in the sun 2021?? She's far more muscular than before, and her knuckles and arms are perpetually bruised. She wears a torn grey shirt with the sleeves cut off, a flannel lined battle jacket decorated with band patches and rips, and battered black jeans, paired with worn combat boots and twin holsters on her hips, hanging off her belt. She made an extra holster out of old leather as well, currently tied around her left thigh and holding a sharp blade in place. Her clothes have scattered scorch makes all over them, thanks to her peculiarity.