Loser. { Noor Pradesh}

She had known anger her whole life.

Noor had blossomed in that rage, that sea of red that swallowed her whole when she wasn't careful. She knew what it was to hate, and she knew how to hate better than anyone else. She was violence and tidal waves and endless flashes of light. Her words could be wildfires and ice ages and deafening floods. She knew how to become her anger, in the same way she knew how to ignore it.

That is, until the light started getting angry with her. And it's much harder to bottle up broken glass and shattered ceiling lamps in comparison. The first time she got angry at school, she couldn't get out fast enough. What a disaster.

The same boy had something to say. Usually reused insults, on and on about things Noor couldn't figure out how he knew, and oh my God, he never SHUT UP. Whispered remarks during class, sometimes the stray note pinned to her bag or her locker. 

That boy was an asshole, and he didn't even know her name. But he would. She would sear it onto his fucking forehead if she had to. 

Halfway through math class, he nailed her with a ball of paper, and Noor wanted to fucking scream. She was already fed up with his bullshit, but today of all days, she was more irritated than usual. Her foster parents already had enough to say, not to mention her teachers getting on her ass about the work she was missing. Today was not the fucking day.

She didn't realize her hands were shaking until the lights began to swell. Her teacher covered his eyes, saying something about the "damn circuit breakers in this school-", and then they shattered. Glass rained down on the collection of students, and Noor panicked.

" SHIT—" 

The boy was shouting, something about glass in his eyes. Noor didn't care. Her hands were already beginning to glow. She grabbed her bag, buried her palms deep in her jacket, and ran.
The halls were in chaos. Apparently, the outburst wasn't just limited to the one room.

She shoved through the crowd of people, vividly aware of the nausea burning in her throat. She felt like she was going to throw up. No, she was definitely going to. 

She slipped into the bathroom and slammed the door shut behind her, locking herself in with shaking hands. It was empty, thank god, and drenched in dark. Her arms lit the entire space up. Then Noor made the mistake of passing the mirror, and quite literally nearly blinded herself. Her throat was golden. And then she threw up, right on the bathroom floor. It was nothing but light, of course, but it still left her feeling weak.

How does someone describe how light tastes?

It's not exactly hot, but its far from cold. It carries this bitter-sweet taste with it, like bruised apples or expired coffee, in a way. It leaves the throat burning and the hands damp with sweat. Light was a strange thing, especially in the way it flocked to Noor like children to a classroom.
Noor lay on her back, gasping for breath and wishing she could be anyone else. 

Outside the bathroom, there were vague voices. The lights had come back on, nearly blinding in comparison to the inky dark that had swallowed the school whole only a few minutes before. 

" Yeah, I think she ran in here—"

Noor sat up and pushed her hair out of her face. In the mirror, she looked like a mess. Her face was blotchy and she looked ill, far more so than she felt. 

" Fuckin' loser," She mumbled to the air around her. Her bag was half open beside her, supplies she needed scattered across the gross floor. She couldn't believe she was sitting on these disgusting tiles, but it's not like she had much choice. She was just very thankful she didn't eat much of a breakfast. 

There was a knock at the door. " Hey, Noor? Are you in there?" Lilly's voice.

" Yeah."

" Can I come in?"

Noor pushed herself up and unlocked the door, avoiding eye contact with the teacher standing beside her best— and pretty much only— friend. Lilly smiled sympathetically. " Are you alright?"

" Panicked," She mumbled. 

Lilly frowned, then hugged her gently. If nothing else, she knew how to comfort Noor better than anyone else, and she found herself shaking. Again. How fucking annoying.

Lilly hugged her tighter. Noor closed her eyes and wished she could be anyone else again. Harder this time.