00

She wasn't always a monster

She wasn't always a monster. Not at the very beginning, at least. She once was just a girl.

▪️💥▪️

Katerina had her father's eyes and mother's smile. She had long blonde hair that would get tangled every night, so her mother would have to help her brush it out in the mornings, while playfully saying that one day she would cut Katerina's hair short. Katerina's mother, Inessa was kind. She was smart and loving and treated everyone with respect. Inessa was kind, but she was also a fool. She was a fool because she believed in love.

When Katerina was six, she was walking home from school with her mother, talking about her day. Inessa was listening to her daughter when she noticed a black van driving behind them slowly.

"Katerina, go home and find Daddy, alright?" Inessa said, interrupting her story.

"Why Momma?" Katerina asked before noticing her mother sneak a fugitive glance at the car, "Who's that?"

"No matter, go home and find Daddy." Inessa insisted.

The car door opened and a man with a gun stepped out.

"Go now!" Inessa yelled, pushing her forwards.

Katerina stumbled a bit before hearing a loud crack, and at the age of six, she witnessed her mother's murder.

"Momma!" Katerina screamed, rushing to her mother's side.

The man with the gun raised his weapon and aimed at her. There was another loud crack, and he fell backwards. Katerina looked up to see her father, Egor, pointing a gun at the spot the man had stood moments before. The black vehicle sped away.

"D-daddy, Momma is hurt." Katerina said.

Egor looked down at his wife and the blood rushing from her chest, and her unseeing eyes. Something in his own eyes snapped.

"Daddy?"

Egor leaned over and tucked a strand of Katerina's hair out of her face and behind her ear, but the action seemed half hearted.

"Go home, I'll meet you there." He spoke quietly.

"I don't want to leave Momma."

"She's gone, Katerina." Egor said.

"No." Katerina shook her head, crying.

The ground began to shake a bit. Egor noticed, though Katerina did not. He grabbed his daughter's arm and pulled her to her feet.

"Go home."

"Momma-"

"She is dead, Katerina!" Egor yelled, shaking her, "Do you understand, dead? Go home and lock the doors. Don't come out until I get back."

Katerina turned and ran the rest of the way home, feet pounding against the pavement. When she reached the house, she locked the doors and hurried to her bedroom where she climbed underneath her bed.