5

You woke up. You felt a slight pain in your chest and collar area. It wasn't as bad as you had remembered it. You sat up, taking a good look at your surroundings in the daylight. It was a small room. The walls had wallpaper that was light green with medieval looking crosses on them. The drawer was a dark oak with roses carved into the feet. It was beautiful, though you suspected there was something like that in every room here.

There was one, long, clear window to the left, with dark blue satin curtains covering most of the light coming through. By the small clearance, it appeared to be late November to early December, or at least to you. Rolling over, a sharp pain hit your lower left torso. Breathing in, you slowly sat up and saw Étiennette awake beside you. She was small for four months old, but you could tell she was growing. Ever since you'd been working, you had very little time to simply watch her and see her smile. She was such a beautiful baby.

Picking her up, she laughed slightly. You almost wanted to cry. You never thought an abusive marriage could bring something so beautiful into the world. Putting her to your breast, she began to feed. Breastfeeding was such an intimate time for the two of you. Lowering your head, you kissed her forehead gently. Her black hair was growing in and her eyes were now your color, just slightly brighter, like her father. Though it wasn't the greatest thought, you hoped she'd look more like you, it hurt a little how much she looked like her father.

For a moment, you thought about Clement. He was so far away, in Normandy, where the ocean roared and men were different. He thought you were dead from an abortion and had quit looking for you. You were relieved but a small part of you remembered what Mr Vatté had said. A small part of you worried that he might still be out there, on his way to Normandy, to tell Clement where you were. You tensed up, it was a possibility, no matter how small it was. He could be on his way to Normandy, at this point, over half way there, waiting to tell Clement...

But this thought was interrupted by Étiennette clapping at your chest. Letting her mouth detach from your breast, you placed her gently on your shoulder, patting her back. She burped and putting her down, you sank back into the bed. You hadn't noticed how comfortable it was. The sheets were high quality, and you could swear the mattress was made of goose feathers. You also noticed that you weren't in the same dress as you last wore. It was light blue and smelled like flowers, it also went beyond your ankles, something you rarely had in a dress.

Wherever you were, it was nice and warm, so, even though by law you had been kidnapped, you weren't complaining. Closing your eyes, hoping to see a little more, there was a loud tapping on the door. You shot up, a little alarmed by the noise.

You tried to open the door, but it was locked. "Come in." You said, standing by the door, a little nervous of who might come in. The door unlocked and two women stepped in. They were dressed in white plain dresses. They looked like maids, or at least what you imagined maids to look like, you'd never had the privilege to have one.

The second one had a tray, filled with medic gauze and other horror looking instruments. You flinched, you knew they were about to change out your bandages and cuts.

"Hello, madam, we're here to clean you up. You were out for nearly two days." The second maid or nurse said, beginning to rub a piece of cotton with something that smelled awful. What she had said shocked you. Two days? You had been out for two days, it was a miracle you were still alive. Someone, when you passed out, could've come by and taken Étiennette or killed you. You suddenly felt very lucky to be here, whatever this place was, even if you hadn't consented.

"I need you to undress." The first maid said. You nodded and began to undress. You stripped down to your bra and underwear. You hadn't noticed it but around your upper torso and rib cage area was a tight, white cotton cloth around it. On certain spots there were spots of blood, cuts from the glass mirror.