Part 8

Phil POV (past)

Diligence had yet to return from his day trip to the Overworld, leaving only hours before. That left me with young Delusion, who had quite the personality, I must say.

"Bow before me Philza, 'cause I'm the new shadow king! And I'll slay you and every other great Dragon in my way. The great shadow army stands at my side ready to attack!" The young master yelled out in his squeaky little voice as he held aloft his play-sword.

"I'll never bow to you!" I said with fake rage, picking up the little one and spinning around.

"Phiiiiiilll, that's no fair put me down!" Delusion giggled.

"Alright mate," I said, placing him back on the ground.

"Surprise attack!" He shouted, slashing the play-sword across my side.

"Ah, noooo, you got me!" I said with mocking defeat, falling onto my side, pretending to be dead.

"Oh no Phil are you okay?!" He said his little voice rising in worry.

"Of course Lulu!" I say, peeking open an eye at him, "you know I can't actually die right?"

"Oh yeah, cause of your curse right? I was still worried though! You looked like you'd actually died!"

I chuckled, though my heart twisted at the mention of my curse. As a young boy, I had been unfortunate enough to have been cursed by a shadow blade. My hand itched at the thought of the mark, it still sometimes burned though the wound had long healed. I had become a Shadow Wraith, solid and tangible during the day and translucent and intangible at night, always on the edge of life and death, belonging to neither. The Shadow King, Diligence, had found me, taken me in, and had raised me as his own. I owed my life and allegiance to him, and as an extension, his son.

Delusion was a strange child, I reasoned as he grasped onto my arm like a small monkey. Suddenly I felt the shift in the world as it became night, and Lulu fell through my arm, landing on his feet.

"Father should be back by now, shouldn't he, Phil," the boy said dejectedly.

"I suppose so, how about we get you ready for bed while we wait?" I offered.

"Okay," he said, rubbing his tired eyes, he was only 6 years old, but he had already become the center of my life. We walked up the spiraling stairs to his bedroom, where I had a maid draw a warm bath for the young master.

"Phillllllll, do I have to take a bath?"

"Yes Lulu, you have to be clean to be able to be the Great Shadow King of the realms like your father, and to be clean you have to take baths and wear clean clothes."

"Fine but only 'cause you said so."

"Come and find me downstairs when you're ready for your bedtime story, okay?"

"Okay, Phil."

I walked down the spiraling stairs and into the throne room to await Diligence's return, praying to the mists he would be back soon.

Then all of a sudden a rag-tag group of wounded soldiers burst into the room, "PHILZA! It's the Shadow King, he's badly wounded you must come to the infirmary at once! He requests your presence."

I drew in a sharp breath and followed the soldiers out, and began trying to calm myself. I entered the infirmary wing of the castle and walked with the soldiers until we had reached a door.

I sucked in the air through my teeth as we entered, Diligence lay in a bed, his breathing labored and ragged.

My heart was in my throat as I approached, "Diligence,-My King," I corrected myself quickly, glancing at the soldiers and doctors in the room, "I am here at your beckoning."

"Phil, old friend, I don't have much time, I am going to die, I can hear Death as she calls out my name even now as I lay here-," he began, a coughing fit interrupting him, then continued, "Please Phil, watch over Lulu for me, help him grow into the Great Shadow King, I couldn't be."

"Diligence I-" tears were gathering in my eyes.

"Please Phil take care of him for me, please."

"I'll do everything in my power, your majesty."

"I'm glad to have had you as a friend Phil," he croaked, his final words leaving his body as he fell limp.

I suddenly became uncomfortably and entirely aware of the presence of the small boy behind me.

"Daddy's not gonna wake up is he, Phil," the small wavering voice said, barely above a whisper.

"Oh Lulu," I said turning and enveloping him in a hug. I held the boy's small body close to me as tears began falling down my face. I stood up lifting him in my arms, and I took him back to his room. I placed him on his bed pulling the blankets over him.

"Phil?" the boy's voice again, "can you wait with me until I fall asleep?"

"Of course I can Lulu," I said softly, sitting down next to his bed holding his little hand in mine. I'd give the world for you princeling, I thought to myself staring at the young boy who'd just lost his father.

Delusion POV (present)

"How, how are you here," Phil stuttered shaking, and backing away.

"Death reincarnated me as Tommy all those years ago, and then you found me I guess, I've always been here really, I just couldn't remember who I was," I turned away hiding my tears as they fell freely, I couldn't let the man whom I had both trusted and regarded as an enemy see me hurt.

I sucked in a breath as I felt arms wrap around me, and a soft, grief-racked voice, "I'm so sorry, Lulu."

Ah, who is this again? I don't know them but they seem sleep-deprived AF