Chapter Eleven

It's been three months since the world ended and things have only gotten worse. We haven't been able to contact or find anyone. The hardlings have taken over and life's become a struggle. The only reason we've survived is because of the force field. It's kept the hardlings out and keeps the right amount of heat in meaning we can grow crops and not get over heated. The hardlings have done everything they could to get in but the force field is a powerful one. Even though we can grow our own crops, they take ages to grow so every so often we go out to look for food. We take it in turns and today it's my turn.

It was mid-afternoon and I finally reached the town centre. I left a lot later than I wanted but that's because I woke up late. I've not been sleeping well since the world ended and part of that's down to the fact I've not been dreaming. It's as if my dream world has just vanished. I go to sleep and all night I'm just stood in an empty world that's nothing but white for as far as I can see. It doesn't annoy me as my dream world was my coping mechanism for real life but I have my family now. There's nothing more I need in life. The sun was blazing hot so where I usually would wrap up and not wear anything revealing, I was wearing black shorts, a black strap top that my mum cut into a crop top and my converse boots. I also had to wear a face covering that's made from bandanna as it gets really windy and the sand gets everywhere and makes it hard to breathe. The city was in ruins. It looks as if it's been plucked out the second Maze Runner movie. Most of the buildings were crumbling away. There are abounded cars everywhere. You'd expect to see rats or birds but only dead ones were spotted. I used to want to move into the city, once I escape my uncle, and write for a newspaper whilst also producing my own books but thanks to the world ending, I can't do that. I don't even know what happened that night and I don't think I'll ever know, was it a slow build up or did everything happen at once? My guess is that the hardlings turned up and the world got destroyed in the fight between monsters and humans. I don't even know how you would kill a hardling. I don't even know if you can. I bought a knife for protection and not just to defend myself from the creatures but from humans as well, if there are any survivors I don't know if they're going to be friend or foe.

I finally found a shop that wasn't completely destroyed. The glass on the front door is smashed so I don't have to worry about it being locked. I read a book on how to pick a lock just in case, it's come in handy a few times. I stepped into the shop and the first thing I noticed was the massive hole in the ceiling with a helicopter poking through. As I got closer to it, I realised the helicopter was being held up but a few power cables so I want to be as quick as possible in case it falls. Apart from the crash, the shop was in pretty good shape. I think this was a Tesco, the sign's destroyed but I could see a faint outline of a T. I decided to have some fun with this shop and grabbed a trolley. I used to see kids do this thing with a trolley where they'd run then jump on the trolley. I've always wanted to try but uncle said it was immature and stupid. He's not here to stop me so oh well. I ran as fast as I could and jumped on the trolley. I went smashing into a shelf and a few crisp packets fell on my head. "Not doing that again," I laughed. The crash was loud so anything around definitely heard. I picked myself up, grabbed my trolley and started to go up and down the aisles. There was mostly mouldy fruit and veg and food that's out of date. Fortunately, I did manage to find a few cans and some random bits of bobs like custard creams and some bottles of water. My dad grew up on a farm, which is way he's in charge of gardening, so he knows how to turn rainwater into safe drinkable water. It rarely rains but when it does it chucks it down so we always have enough water but every little helps. I also found a kola bear toy for Tommy. He hasn't been dealing with any of this very well, mainly because he doesn't understand but I play with him a lot to keep him distracted.

I finished looking around and headed to the till to pack my backpack. I quite enjoy not having to worry about the cost of things. I was about to leave when I heard growling. I turned around and saw a lone hardling stood in the middle of the shop under the helicopter. Even one was extremely dangerous. Luckily, we've only ran into them a few times whilst on supply runs and we always manage to make it back to the house, it's why we don't travel far. The hardling was too close for me to make a break for it. They're fast so I've to got to be smart about this. I grabbed the trolley and pushed it into the hardling giving me a few seconds to make break for the shelf. I climbed it as quick as possible. I was next to the helicopter now. The hardling picked himself up and stood there growling at me. It wanted to kill me but I'm the one with the upper hand. I pulled out my knife and cut one of the cables holding the helicopter. It came crashing down right on top of the hardling killing it instantly. It knocked the shelf and I went flying and landed in a pile of mouldy bread. I checked my bag and nothing's broke or exploded. I once had my water bottle explode in my bag on the way to a school trip and of course Aiden made fun of me.

I left the shop and was about to head home when I heard screams. It's one problem after another in the new world. Do I risk it and go help or do I go? On the upside it'd mean people but, on the downside, they could be douches who have set a trap so they can steal my supplies. What do I do?

I decided it's best to risk it as it would be nice to see another living person and they might be nice. I got closer to where the screams were coming from. I found three people being surrounded by a group of hardlings. I was too far to see who they are but at least they're in actual danger instead of this being a trap. I don't know how to help. It's a lot of hardlings. Suddenly, a chunk of building behind the people started falling which scared the hardlings off fixing one problem. But now there was the problem of saving the people from the debris. I screamed "move" at the top of my lungs as I raced towards them. The debris was meters from their heads. "No!" I screamed as I threw my hand forward without even thinking. All of a sudden and very weirdly, the piece of the building froze in place. It's like magic. It's just there suspended in the air. One of the people finally noticed and told the others. They saw me and started running over. I slowly lowered my arm and the debris fell to the ground sending dust and tiny pieces of rock everywhere. I felt drained and I don't know why. The three people emerged from the dust cloud and I couldn't believe my eyes. "You've got to be kidding me?" The girl said.

"Aiden? Luka? Tom?" I said barely managing to get the words out. I couldn't believe my eyes. Out of all the people to survive and for me to run into, it just had to be Aiden and her goons. The end of world couldn't get any worse. "How are you alive?" Aiden asked, shocked.

"I could say the same for you three," I replied.

"Glad to see you're okay Autumn," Luka said.

"Thanks. You too, I guess. Is everyone okay?"

That's when another voice was heard. "I knew you could do it."