Chapter Fifteen

Just when we thought we're gonners someone shoots the hardlings. Obviously, it didn't kill them but it injured and scared them off. Whoever they are we owe them our lives. I cautiously lowered the force field. Luka helped me and Aiden out of the hole before climbing out himself. "Hand over everything you've got!" The stranger shouted as she pointed her gun at us. Our arms flew up. The girl has long, dark purple hair and is wearing black skinny jeans, a black crop top and a black leather jacket with silver spikes around the edges. She has her hood up and is wearing a mask. "Autumn blast her," Aiden whispered. I was about throw a fire ball at her when I noticed she has one green eye and one blue eye. "Raven?" I said.

"Raven?" Aiden and Luka both said, confused.

"Hey guys," Raven said as she took down her hood and removed her mask.

"Oh, look another freak's alive. Have you somehow got a boyfriend and magic powers too?" Aiden shouted.

"Don't provoke someone with a gun," Luka said.

"See you're still a douche. What are you going on about though?" Raven asked confused.

"I have a boyfriend and powers. It's a long story." I said and frankly it is and one I don't fully understand.

"Okay... not gonna ask then. Plus, may like boys but more into girls." Aiden remained silent which was odd as she usually make a rude remark.

"Really glad to see you're okay. How'd you manage to survive?" I asked.

"My parents are massive hippies so we ate out the garden a lot so I know how to garden and my grandad taught me a lot of survival skills. Plus, he's a gun fanatic so I know how to shoot and have access to guns which I can use against those creatures."

"They're hardlings." Aiden stated.

"How do you know?"

"Autumn told us. She knows what they are," Luka said.

"Not gonna ask how but I'll ask if you know how to kill them?" I shook my head. In my nightmares I never thought about how to kill them. I never fought back. I was too scared. I never thought they'd become real but if I did then I would've dreamt of a way to kill them. If a gun didn't kill them then what would? "How'd you find us? Was it you following us?" I asked.

"Yeah, it was me but I didn't know it was you. I saw Aiden with people and I never expected it to be you. I was planning on robbing her but since it's you I won't. Also, you clearly have no supplies."

"Can you lower the gun then please?" Aiden laughed, nervously.

"Oh yeah sure, I wouldn't actually shoot anyone." I went to say something but suddenly felt really dizzy. I almost fainted but luckily Luka caught me. "Autumn? You okay?" Luka asked, concerned. I tried answering but couldn't get the words out. I need to sit down and rest.

"She's seems drained, probably from making the force field," Aiden said.

"Guess that's one of her powers?" Raven replied.

"Yeah. She's quite powerful. She created a force field that goes round her entire house. It protected her house and her family from the destruction caused by the end of the world and keeps the hardlings out." Luka bragged, "she's also got the power of fire manipulation and telechensis."

"Well, she doesn't look too good and it's getting late so you can stay at mine, it's not far." We all nodded and was about to set off when I collapsed. "Let me carry you," Luka offered.

"No... no tha... thanks." I said struggling.

"You've got no choice I'm afraid," Luka said as he picked me up, I've got no strength to fight back so I just let it happen. I hate being carried.

It didn't take long to get to Raven's. She's staying in a rundown apartment building. It's huge and has a balcony. The wallpaper's falling off and it smells of damp. Luckily, we'd just missed the rain but we're on the top floor so we could hear it and unfortunately there's a few small holes in the ceiling allowing bits of rain to sneak through. Luka carefully placed me on the sofa, that's surprisingly in good condition, then slumped down next to me. Aiden collapsed in an armchair whilst Raven went to get us all some water. We're exhausted. We've been walking all day and climbing up all those stairs was hard, especially with loads of missing steps. Raven gave us a drink and my god did we need it. It helped me gain some energy back. She also started making some soup. "For god's sake," Raven moaned.

"What's wrong?" Luka asked.

"Lighter's ran out so can't get the fire going so cold soup tonight."

"I can help," I said.

"Careful," Luka said as I slowly crawled over to the fire pit. I focused then waved my hand lighting the fire. Drained me more but it's worth it. Luka helped me back to the sofa. "You're magic's so cool," Raven said.

"Thanks." I replied, "how come you're not wearing your glasses?"

"It's the end of the world who cares what we look like. It's me made realise I shouldn't care what people or bullies say" Raven responded which caused Aiden to go quiet and look away.

Luka could see Aiden feeling awkward so quickly changed the subject, "have you been alone the entire time?"

"Yeah. I was on a jog when it happened. My house was completely destroyed with my parents inside. What about you lot?"

"Haven't found mine but presume they're dead," Luka said.

"My mum died giving birth and I found my dad ripped to pieces," Aiden said and she sounded like she's going to cry.

"I'm sorry," I stated. She clearly didn't like talking about her parents, especially about her mum, I could hear her voice break.

"Have you tried looking for your uncle Autumn?" Luka asked.

"No and I don't want to."

"Why?"

"He wasn't a good man. He was evil. He didn't care if I was on the floor with broken ribs or a concussion, he'd keep attacking. Anything went wrong, even if it wasn't my fault, I was beat. To him I was nothing but a slave."

"Why didn't you stand up to him or tell someone?" Raven asked.

"I tired but I got beaten the crap out of so after many beatings I got too scared. I hope I never see him again."

"I'm so sorry you went through that. I'm sorry we made life worse," Luka said.

"Wasn't your fault." Once again Aiden looked away and stayed silent. What's going on with her? The soup's finally done and it felt good to eat.

We finished our food. It's freezing but luckily Raven has tons of extra blankets so we wrapped up. "Have you lot heard of the Gowie?" Raven asked.

"Only a few stories," Luka responded.

"No. What's that?" I asked.

"It's a monster far worse than a hardling. I've heard stories from people I've met. Apparently, it's what caused all this and lives in the sky skyscraper that's conveniently the only building that survived. The stories say it's the embodiment of pure evil. It's unstoppable and you can't escape it." What Raven described sounds like the devil. If the hardlings are real then maybe he is too. I pray he's not real as if he is then we're all dead. We're all exhausted so we decided it's time for bed. Aiden fell asleep on the armchair, Raven crashed asleep on the floor and Luka and I fell asleep on the sofa.