Family Ties

We walked back to the house and took off our wet shoes and flannels. Tom wiped off Tess's feet before she wandered off. We went through the kitchen and checked to see if Haz and Anna were still in the TV room. We looked in and saw Anna asleep partially leaning on Haz. He had put his arm around her which rested on her waist. Without him seeing us we went back to the kitchen. Tom emptied the thermos.

     "Do you want anything to eat before we leave? I could put together a small charcuterie? I think we just got some nice bread and cheese. Do you like cheese?" He asked grabbing some grapes and meat out of the fridge.

     "First, that is so fancy for a snack. And second, of course I like cheese. I'd love some thanks." He scrunched his nose. "Do you not like cheese?"

     "Not really..." my jaw dropped. He laughed at my reaction.

     "You poor thing..."

     Tom put together the food and called for Harry and Haz, who woke up Anna. We all ate a little before heading to Tom and Harry's parents'.

     It was four o'clock which was a bit early but seeing as it was Tom's childhood home it probably wouldn't matter. Instead of knocking Harry went right inside, everyone following. Haz was helping Anna limp over and he set her on a couch. I was about to sit down when Haz excitedly shouted to Tom and I.

     "Oh! Leena! They have a piano just over there! Tom you should hear the two of them. Leena plays the piano beautifully and Anna's voice is just amazing."

     "I don't want to be too noisy-"

     "No its alright, we wouldn't have one if we couldn't handle it," Harry laughed from the doorway. "I'm gonna see where mum is," he said to Tom who nodded back. I walk over to the piano. I'm nervous. More nervous than at the airport and look how that ended up.

     "How about the french one? My voice is a bit groggy and that one is easy on me. Do you remember that one?" Anna asked.

     "Sure, I think I do-" I try to remember the first chord and the tempo. It comes back quickly. I start playing Je Te Laisserai Des Mots by Patrick something or other. I love this song, its so pretty. We're about a third of the way through the song and I hear a British lady call out.

     "SAM?!" flinching, I turn to the doorway where the sound came from and see a woman round the corner. Her excited face dropped slightly when she saw me at the piano. But she quickly reverted back to a beautiful smile. Harry walked up behind her.

     "There you are. But no, this is Leena and Anna," Harry said motioning to us.

     "Sorry, the only one who really plays the piano is Sam so I thought he'd come home to surprise us. But it is so nice to meet you both! I'm Nikki, Tom and Harry's mum."

     "Nice to meet you as well!" Anna responded.

     "And thank you for inviting us." I added.

     "Of course! Well I was just putting dinner together. Tom, dear, can you get drinks for everyone? And Harry set the table please? Thanks."

     "Would you want to give me a hand?" Tom said to me. I nodded and before leaving the room Nikki called after me.

     "Your piano playing was wonderful dear! Oh and your voice is just excellent-" She turned to Anna who she was now sitting beside. We walked out of the room and while in the small hallway Tom turned his head to look at me.

     "You wish that was you huh?" He said jokingly.

     "Using my insecurities against me, nice. You know, instead of singing, I wish someone had told you you weren't funny. Would've saved us a lot of pity laughs". We glared at each other but couldn't help but laughing.

• • • • • • • • • • • •

     "Yeah we thought there would be less people travelling in the spring compared to summer so the prices for everything would be cheaper," I replied to Nikki's question about our trip. We have just finished dinner and were sitting around the table. Dom and Paddy joined us.

     "Very smart. That's so good. I think travelling is a great experience for young people. I mean it's always great fun but when you're young you have nothing holding you back."

     "Gosh mum! Didn't know we were such burdens," Harry said.

     "You didn't? I suppose we forgot to remind you today," Dom added from the end of the table. Everyone laughed. With Tom's family I am reminded of my own, but I am not sad anymore. I miss them of course but not painfully, like I had before.

     The way Nikki looked at Dom, and Tom acted with Paddy; they were such a happy family. Nikki has these large, kind eyes and such a welcoming smile. Truly beautiful; appearance and personality wise. Dom's laugh just makes everyone want to laugh with him, and he's so nice. He'll joke with us but make sure we know he's kidding. He made me, and I'm sure Anna would agree, feel included. And of course Paddy. He brings so much energy to the family. He has that teenage sarcasm with none of the distant moodiness.

     I can tell Tom is at home. Literally, but mentally too. He still has those dark circles under his eyes but I don't think he's stopped laughing since he's got here. All of the pain and sadness in his eyes have been replaced with joy and love for his family. 

     "Paddy! I've been looking for that jumper for weeks! I didn't give you that one!" Harry pointed to his sweater.

     "Well then why did you leave it here?" I laughed to myself. Even watching their little squabbles I can see how functional and healthy their relationships are. I don't think I have ever seen a more symbiotic family. 

     "We're supposed to be leaving the day after tomorrow," I zone back in hearing Anna talking about our flight.

     "I'm sure you'll be glad to get home but it is too bad we won't get to see more of you two. Gave us a good reason to force the boys over for dinner," Dom teased, glancing over at Tom.

     "If you ever find yourselves in London again be sure to stop by anytime." Nikki said as she picked up our plates.

     "Same to you guys if you come to Canada!" Anna returned the offer.

     "I wish you could have been here for Christmas. All of the lights in the city are stunning. Oh and if you think the food here is good you'd be amazed at the feasts we have." Haz said, mostly to Anna.

     "They play Harry Potter on the tele, and Sam makes the best biscuits we'll have with tea," Tom, sat beside me, said quietly. He was smiling at the hands in his lap clearly reminiscing. He quickly looked at me mischievously. "Or hot chocolate." I grinned at him. The little shit.

     "So this is gonna be a thing then? I'm not going to live this down?" After I said it I realized I was wrong. We're leaving in two days. The boys and their family will forget all about us and the conversations we had. I loosened my smile at the idea.

     "Oh no, we've made amends but I will always tease you about it." He was still smiling. With this family he must have had such a happy life. Surely not without trials, but the crows feet that spread from the corners of his eyes are telling to the joy he's experienced. No doubt attributed, at least a little - but I suspect greatly, to his family.