Chapter 5

Newt had just started to settle in with his new family, cracking jokes and playing pranks on Keisha with Jackie, and helping he take care of Dante who seemed to treat Newt like his big brother hanging on his legs and following him around, but a question was constantly tugging at the back of his mind. What had happened to his Glader friends and the right arm? Were any of them still alive, and if so, who? What if.... Tommy, and Minho...... No, Newt refused to believe that there might be a chance that they didn't survive.

A few days later when he was, he was helping Keisha roast an old pack of hot dogs that they had scavenged from a home a few hours ago, he asked the question that he had been ripping at him from the inside.

"Do you know what happened to my friends, Tommy, Brenda?"

Keisha raised her eyebrows "You mean your munie friends who you told that you never wanted to see them again and told one of them to shoot you and let's not even mention that you threatened them with a launcher"

Newt rolled his eyes,

"No other people, yes those friends do you have any idea where they are or who died?"

She smirked,

"Anyone in particular because this is none of my business of course but I couldn't help but notice you taking a... I dunno interest to a certain dark-haired boy with a very special nickname"

Newt must have looked ridicules because Keisha almost dropped Dante from laughing so hard. Jackie ran in

"Newt, I had this idea, what if we hung mum's underwear from-, oh"

Jackie had now noticed that her and Newt were not alone, and she had just reveled one of many practical jokes to play on her mother. Keisha was now looking between her daughter and him eyeing them suspiciously. After a few moments she seemed to have decided to not ask, she sighed and mumbled something like "I'm getting too old for this"

"Newt, you wanted to know what I knew about the Right Arms whereabouts, to be honest I don't know much but what I do know is that there has been rumors of a camp about a day's walk from here filled with munies and soldiers but don't get your hopes up cranks aren't exactly reliable sources for information.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

They set out early the next morning early enough that they would be able to make it to their destination before dark. Keisha and Newt carried the bulk of their supplies two tents, food, water, and anything else that they needed including a new journal that Newt had found since he had lost his old one, it was less of a rope to reality then it was in his earlier days now it was more of a comfort to give him something that didn't change even if it only meant writing in an old book every day. This notebook was not as sleek and fresh as his old one, it was brown, and the pages were crinkled and yellowed from aging, and it was not fully empty it had Proopertey of Stephan written in messy handwriting on the first page, Newt kept this page in because the way the way the kid had misspelled property made him smile. Also, to think that a little kid maybe seven or eight had thought of filling this journal with his adventures just like Newt planned to, but that name Stephan always made the hairs on the back of his next stand up, he knew that he had heard the name before, but the memory was just out of reach. Not from The Swipe, which had broken down way before, no, the memory was just distant like he was young when it had happened. At first, he had wondered if it was his father's name, but it just didn't feel right, it was right on the tip of his tongue and it was driving him bloody mad!

Newt and Keisha took turns carrying Dante though they didn't have to as often as he was now old enough that he could walk with someone helping him who was mostly Jackie to give him and Keisha a break. It was now morning somewhere between 7 and 8 am but Newt wasn't sure, he didn't have a watch and the only clock they had was on Keisha's phone that she only turned on a few times a week now.

"Hey" Jackie said softly, "Were taking a break here, since were in good shape and Mum needs to change Dante"

Her and Newt sat cross-legged on the dirt, the loose gravel poking his legs, but the pain was almost normal on his left leg which was shucked up long before his half-death (name curtesy of Jackie).

"How are you holding up"

He asked her, ever since they had left, he had felt a type of guilt, they had finally had some sort of routine and they had seemed to have a home even if that home was constantly moving and then Newt had messed it all up. She seemed to ponder the question thinking about how to answer.

"Fine, I guess"

She gave him a halfhearted smile,

"By tonight you'll be with your real family."

She looked away, but Newt could still see the pained look on her face.

"J you are my family just as much as Sonya, and you will never be less important to me and Ya' know that in the right arm there will be a bunch more people to prank and to hear jokes"

Her face lit up and she got up so quickly he thought she had sat on something sharp.

"Really?"

When Newt nodded, her smile grew,

"Does that mean I can prank your boyfriend?"

Newt blushed and Jackie seemed to take that as a yes.

"Let's go!"

She squealed and skipped off to get her mother.

—————————————————————————————————————————————— 

Author Note: Sorry I haven't updated in a while so I gave a longer chapter.

Please tell me if I made any mistakes, And have a great rest of your day

Question: What (other then Newtmas getting together) do you want to happen?

p.s if your reading this as I update I might take some ideas into account!