prologue

PROLOGUE
the white house painted red.

...

"Ugh, that's not a pretty sight." The murmur was only heard by the woman beside her, who snorted and bumped her arm.

"Watch yourself, Davey. He might eat you next." The girl joked like they'd known each other for years, even if it was only ten minutes.

"I've had worse things try to eat me, I think I could take him."

"So I've heard--" The other woman's voice broke off into a laugh as the pair watched a large pickle slip from the man's burger, dropping straight onto his white shirt... the same shirt they'd been watching ketchup and other sauces drip onto for a few minutes by then. The pickle caught his attention and he suddenly realized, in this professional office called the White House, he was covered in hamburger sauces.

The girls stifled their laughter as he ran by, swearing and looking miserable.

"Lucina Davey?" A voice called and one of the girls sighed heavily.

"That's me, gotta blast." She turned away from the secretary she'd been talking to, a woman who might've been a good friend if Lucina lived a different life. Friends were hard to maintain when most of your life was lived undercover... she knew from personal experience.

Lucky approached the with a straight face, narrowed eyes. He offered his hand to shake and she eyed it, then produced her badge from the pocket of her black combat pants instead of accepting the offer.

"Lucina Davey, FBI. I'm here on summons of the President. I've been lead to believe there are four others I'm supposed to meet here."

The man retracted his hand, fighting to keep his smile from flipping into the awkward range. "R-right. Most of the others have already arrived, they're right this way. You'll wait with them until the President is ready to see you." He hurried down a corridor behind a heavy door, and Lucky shrugged.

"Take your time, I've got all day." She huffed, following after the man. Her heavy boots clomped on the uncarpeted floor, echoing and seeming to make the man even more nervous... despite him being taller than her. He was beginning to remind her of--

He pushed a door open just in time to stop her from taking a quick trip down memory lane-- a place she despised-- and led her into a small waiting room filled with... only three other people?

"Huh." Was all she said when she entered, earning all eyes on her. One of the guys hopped to his feet, eyes wide, while the second man and one other woman stared from their spots at the table.

"M-m-m-Miss Lucina Davey!" He yelped and Lucky rolled her eyes.

"Agent Lucina Davey, thank you. Just call me Lu-- er... Davey."

The second man, who was built much sturdier than the first, nodded towards her. "Not Lucky?"

Lucina clenched her jaw, then shook her head with one quick motion. "No. My friends call me Lucky... and no one calls me Lucky nowadays."

"Right."

A silence fell over the room and Lucky crossed her arms. "What about you guys?" She tipped her head to the side, but was met with silence. She sighed. "Your names?"