one

CHAPTER ONE
cruel joke.

...

Lucky gaped at the brunette before her. Fluffy hair, soft eyes-- this was her Leon. He was older now, they both were, but it was undoubtedly him. The man she'd loved like no other, who had saved her life on countless occasions.

The man she'd saved the world with. Ex(?)-boyfriend who's supposed to be dead.

He was smiling, then stood and offered his hand to the girl. Lucky regarded it with a glare, then pushed herself to her feet despite the screaming of protest from her head.

"Glad I got here when I did, I don't know what I would've done if you--"

"You bitch." Lucky glowered, barely thinking as she slapped him across the face. Her heart hurt, but anger made her sight red. "Don't act like nothing happened! You disappeared!" She snapped.

"Davey-- Davey, there's no need." Patrick was suddenly in front of her, holding her shoulders. "We're all a team, and he did just save our lives."

Lucky raised her eyebrows and stepped back, glaring at both men in front of her. "I had it handled."

"Bullshit--"

There was a sudden scream further down the hall and the tension between the group didn't matter all of a sudden. They all turned up into high-gear, serious.

"Patrick, go back and stay with the President. Tell them about the threat, make sure they know we're handling it." Lucky ordered, taking her gun from his hands.

He glanced between the pair. "Are you two gonna be alright?"

Leon snorted. "We'll be fine, we've done this once or twice." His comment made Lucky look at him, eyes narrowed but with a hint of amusement that she couldn't kill for the life of her.

"Yeah, it'll feel just like old times. Now 'git."

And Patrick did, taking off back the way they had come. Lucky glanced at Leon, but made a point to never do it again as her chest tightened and her hands itched to find his. She wondered if he had noticed her look, or the same thing was on his mind as he spoke up.

"Look, Lucky... I'm sorry--"

"Come on, the scream came from this way." She said, though it came out a bit harsher than she meant. Leon paused, then nodded once and followed her.

What a cruel fucking joke this is, Lucky thought as she blinked back the familiar sting in her eyes, all this time... and all I can do is hate him.

It was a cruel joke, and Lucky almost wanted to laugh.

...

"So you two are definitely boyfriend and girlfriend, right?"

Lucky startled, eyeing the kid beside her. The little girl was blonde, with big blue eyes and the name Birkin to top it off. Sherry, the daughter of the dead scientists, was now attached to Claire at the hip.