nine

CHAPTER NINE
never stays dead.

...

A gunshot went off, and it took a good few moments for Lucky to realize she had shot the gun.

Ada Wong half-spun to face her, clearly shocked that the bitch was still alive... and Lucky felt a serious case of deja vu as the gun slipped from her hand, clattered to the floor and her legs collapsed out from under her.

Lucky hit the hard metal walkway with a painful, near-lifeless thud.

It's another dream, she told herself, staring up at the crumbling ceiling.

Or, rather a nightmare.

The day I died. The moment...

Right down to the second her heart ceased to beat.

She closed her eyes and let her last breath tumble from her lips, accepted the darkness like it was an old friend come to greet her. Her last heartbeat was a heavy echo in her ears, then everything stopped. She remembered feeling okay about this, feeling ready to die if it meant Leon would live.

Death was quick, a sudden emptying of the consciousness. After a few moments, Lucky no longer occupied her body. There were no more thoughts, ideas or memories in that head of hers...

All the light of Lucina Davey blinked out.

And while she could admit that, at the time, she accepted death... his voice always brought her back.

Though she had a chance to move on, that rookie cop anchored her to the earth. Even if she hadn't left the warmth of death back to her cold body, Lucky was sure she still wouldn't be able to move on without him.

She always liked to believe in soulmates, like her childhood fantasies told her... and it was one of the few to come true. Leon Kennedy was her soulmate, and she'd haunt his stupid ass until he finally decided to join her.

It's not so bad, Lucky admitted.

It was true. She was comfortable, safe from harm, warm and--

"Lucky?"

And his voice always brought her back.

"Lucky."

She shot upwards, eyes flying open. Her headache immediately caught up with her, blurring her vision, and she groaned.

"What?" She snapped, but there was no response. There was... no response? She forced her eyes to focus through her pain and found herself in the totalled control room. The chunk of metal that Jason had thrown was stuck deep into the room, only about a foot from totaling her.