Chapter Nine

Hudson

I take us to the tallest parking garage in town. I've come up here plenty of times before. I like to write my songs up here, or think out loud, or just be a peace with the world for a moment. I think the city lights and traffic below are nice to look at. It makes me feel like I'm apart of something bigger than myself.

"Is this where you kill me?"

"Princess, if I was going to kill you, I would've already."

I throw the car into park at the very top. Josie follows me as I get out and walk towards the edge.

We're alone up here, with no other cars in the lot, which gives us an unobstructed view.

The air is fresh and chilly as it whips around us. I resist the urge to pull her in and get warm.

"It's so pretty up here."

"I thought you might like it. You said you wanted to feel free. I feel free when I come up here."

I place my elbows on the concrete wall and lean over, staring at the street below. It's at least ten stories down, maybe more.

"Are you afraid of heights?"

"Isn't everyone a little?" Josie raises an eyebrow, "Why?"

"Do you trust me?"

"Maybe..."

"Do you trust me?" I turn to face her, only inches from her face. "I need a clear answer."

"Yes. I trust you."

"Get up here." I point to the edge of the wall. "I'll hold onto you."

"What? No." She shakes her head adamantly. "No!"

"You said you trust me. I won't let you fall."

She chews her lip, but places her palms on the wall and hoists herself up.

It wasn't my plan, but I have an amazing view of her from here. The way her body curves is naturally sexy.

I wrap my arms around her thighs. I can feel her legs shaking from adrenaline.

"How do you feel?"

"Like I could plummet to my death at any moment."

"Josie, I've got you. Let go. Be free."

Her arms slowly lift out to each side of her. She sways a little as she makes the move, but her muscles tense and she keeps rooted.

"I feel like I'm on the edge of the world."

"You're in your own world." I tell her. "Just you and me up here."

                                                          Josie

My heart is pounding against my chest and blood is rushing through my ear drums creating a pulse.

Hudson's got a grip on my thighs and while it's keeping me secure up here, it's unraveling me everywhere else. His touch feels hot, and every small movement of his fingers I'm aware of.

I'm stupid for doing this. One small slip-up and I'll probably die, but for some reason, I feel amazing.

"Okay, Josie. I'm going to let go and grab your hand. I want you to walk."

"Walk?" Fresh fear shoots through me as I look down at my converses hanging over the edge. "Are you sure?"

"I won't let you fall. I promise."