Chapter Seventeen

Josie

I check my makeup one more time in the rearview mirror. Taking deep breaths and counting to ten still isn't calming my nerves. I have a feeling things won't go well with my parents today.

The house approaches in view, and my heart somersaults to my feet. Trey's car is parked in the circle drive, right by the front door.

Hesitantly, I pull in, contemplating reversing right back out.

I mean, last time he and I were face to face he almost choked me and who knows what else would've happened had my neighbor not come over.

But no. I won't be a coward. My parents wouldn't let him hurt me.

It's time for me to start taking control of my life. I make a vow to myself that no matter how today goes, I won't let it change my mind about doing the things I love.

I let myself into the four-story, all white on the outside and inside, mansion. The scent of lasagna wafts through the air along with the lemon-scented cleaner that our maid always uses.

I avoid the den, figuring that's where Trey and my father most likely are. Instead, I wander into the dining room. My mother has a chef who prepares meals for us, but she always likes to set the table.

"Hey, mom."

"About time, Josaleigh. You were almost late." I glance at the clock on the wall. It's eleven-forty-five and I was told to be here at noon, but I don't argue. "Open the bottle of wine, will you? Then put it in the middle."

"Why is Trey here?" I boldly ask as I twist the screw into the cork.

My mother stops what she's doing to give me a wide-eyed, red-lips-pursed stare.

"Because he's your boyfriend. I don't know what you two have had going on, and frankly, I don't care. It needs to get resolved now. You can't break up with him."

Before I can tell her that I can break up with him, and that I did, she turns on her heel and walks out.

I hold back the emotions swelling in my chest. I wish she would listen to me. I wish that my mother wasn't so worried about our family business, and the opinions of other people, and would see how unhappy I am in this role I've played for so long.

When the food is placed onto the table, my mother comes back in with my dad and Trey behind her.

"So, Josaleigh." My father says once we're all seated. "Tell us about this singing adventure you've been on?"

"It's been... really fun."

"Fun, huh?"

"Yes. I also think it's been good for me. I'm happier than I've been in a while."

"Happier? But you and this fine gentleman here are having trouble?"

"No trouble." I force a smile, shooting eye-daggers are Trey. "We broke up, so all problems solved."

"We're taking a break." Trey corrects me, and I resist the urge to throw my wine in his face. "She'll come back around. Deal is still on."

"Deal?" I shout, angered that I'm being spoken about like I'm property.

"Josaleigh, lower your voice!"

"You both realize you're pushing for your one and only daughter to end up in an unhappy, arranged marriage. Right?"

"It's not arranged, dear. However, in the best interest of our business, I think you and Trey should try to work things out. You always got along great before."