Chapter Twenty-Three

Josie

Hudson heads out for tour around two in the afternoon. I give him the longest hug I can without being clingy, and wave goodbye to him as the bus Deanna rented pulls out of the record studio. Hudson even has a live band to perform with him now, and from their first couple of meetings together, they all really get along.

I couldn't be more excited for him. He deserves this tenfold.

Still, there is a little apprehension about being away from each other.

He and I have been content in our bubble. Or in our own little world as he calls it. I know that time and distance won't change a thing, but there is a small part of me that's worried.

The what-ifs scare me, even if I try to ignore them.

What if he meets someone he likes better?

What if long distance is too hard?

What if he makes it big and forgets about me?

But I shake those thoughts off. Hudson loves me, and I love him. That'll be enough.

I make it back to my apartment around three, and decide to take a nap. The last few weeks have been stressful, and I'm ready for spring break so I can relax. Even though I probably won't be relaxing at all while on the road with him, so I need to sleep now as much as I can.

The next time my eyes open, the sun has set and it's dark in my bedroom. I feel like I've time-hopped several years. That's how great I slept.

I stretch, then yawn as I sit up and notice my stomach growl.

I can hear Livi shuffling around in the kitchen, and I decide to go see if she's ate yet, or if she's making something now. Maybe I can talk her into making me something, too.

"That was the best nap of my life." I mumble, turning the hallway corner. "Livi? Why are you in the dark?"

But my best friend doesn't answer me.

An inexplainable amount of dread drops onto my chest.

From the corner of the room a figure, tall and lean, definitely not belonging to my petite best friend, moves at me slowly.

I back up against the kitchen wall, feeling around for anything I can use as a weapon, but coming up with nothing. The knives are on the counter near the person.

"W-who are you? How'd you get in here?"

"It's been so long."

Chills break out across my skin at his voice. He's right. It's been so long. So long, that'd I'd almost forgotten about him. I haven't seen or heard from him since Thanksgiving.

"Trey."

"You know..." His voice sounds easygoing. The kind of nonchalant that could snap at any moment. He's too happy, and not in a safe way. "I kept waiting for the perfect time to do this. I wanted to do it sooner."

"Get out!" I scream, "Now!"

"Your neighbors won't save you this time." He chuckles, slowly getting closer. "Everyone was told to leave for a few hours because of a possible gas leak."

"How—"

"I know people, Josie. People who don't give a shit what I do with my power. They cleared the whole floor. It's just me and you."

Bile rises in my throat as tears burn my eyes, but I refuse to falter. I will stand strong against Trey until the bitter end.

"Leave me alone, Trey. Please. Can't you just let me go?"