Chapter Thirteen

Hudson

Josie comes down the stairs of her apartment building, almost making my jaw drop when she does. She's in tight jeans that flare out at the bottom like she's straight out of the seventies, and a red top that exposes a strip of her stomach.

I force myself to look at her face instead of drooling over her curves for too long like a creep, and she doesn't smile back at me.

I wonder if something has upset her?

We haven't spoken since I dropped her off Monday morning, but I figured she was busy, and I didn't want to push how great things were between us on Halloween by texting her.

"Hey, rockstar." She climbs up into my truck, "Ready?"

"I'm ready. You look... different than usual. Really nice, hot. Beautiful." I pause over my word-vomit. "You look amazing, Josie. Just haven't seen you wear anything like that."

And I won't ever see her wear anything like it again if I don't shut up.

"Thanks. So, I'm meeting Rylie? Getting to see where you grew up?"

"Don't get too excited. It's a dump. It's a little funny. Tonight I'm playing at the bar and grill I used to steal food from."

I can feel her looking at me, but she doesn't respond. I don't blame her. What is someone supposed to say to that? It is what it is.

Still, I get the vibe that something is off with Josie today. She just doesn't seem like herself. I can't put my finger on what it is, it's almost like I can feel it.

We let the music fill most of the silence between us on the drive to the apartment, and by the time we get to it, I've convinced myself this is a horrible idea.

Josie's high-class-self shouldn't be in a place like this.

I don't want to take her in with me, but leaving her in the car would be worse.

This is a neighborhood with scummy people—more specifically, scummy men—who would kill to get their grubby hands on a girl like her.

"All right, princess. Ready to see the other side of the tracks? This is the place your parents warned you about."

I take her hand, not to be romantic, but to protect her. Most of the people in this little town know not to fuck with me, and by default, they'd better not fuck with her.

She follows wordlessly behind me and I cringe as I hear her shoes sticking with every step. I risk a glance back at her, and see her wandering eyes taking in all the graffiti.

Yeah, no trust funds here, baby girl.

"Hudson, who is this fine thing you've brought home?"

Josie places her hand against my back after the old man speaks. He's harmless, but he does look like he could do some creepy things.

"Listen." I warn as we approach the door. "My mom will probably be fucked up on the couch. Don't let it freak you out. That's the norm."

Josie nods, albeit reluctantly, as I stick my key into the lock.

"Hey!" Rylie pops around the corner, a huge smile on her face. "Is this Josie?"

"I am." Josie answers for me, "It's really nice to meet you. Your big brother loves you."

"I've heard a lot about you, too."

Rylie shoots me side-eyes, and I make a mental note to not give her as much spending money next month. Traitor. I didn't want Josie to know I'd mentioned her.