Chapter 17

Everyone was waiting in the waiting area for a few hours to hear about Nandini when Abhi came back from talking to the police.

"Manik...Lavanya was caught trying to leave the country. Arrest kar liya unko." Abhi said.

"Good. I hope rots in jail." Manik muttered.

"The police will want to speak to Nandini, when she wakes up. Sirf usko Lavanya Bua ki saari sachai paata hai."

"Hmm....aur Shravan?" 

"He was also thrown in jail. They have enough proof to keep him locked for life. Baat karne ki koshish ki unhone par....I refused. He is stupid if he thinks itna sab ho jaane ke baad he still has a brother." Abhi turned to Smita and Anand, "Mom, Dad...Shravan ne jo bhi kiya...I so so sorry. I know sorry se kuch nahi hoga. It cant undo anything par....I dont know what else to say. Bhabhi...nahi Bhabhi nahi jab Shravan ke saath mera ki rishta nahi toh main unko bhabhi kaise bula sakta hoon....Di. Roshni Di didnt deserve this and Im so sorry."

Mukti hugged Abhi to console him. "Isme tumhara koi galati nahi hai Abhi....dont apologize for something you didnt do."

"Haan beta, hum tumhe bilkul blame nahi karte hai." Anand said.

A few more minutes later the doctor came out.

"Doctor...how is my wife?" Manik asked, running to him. 

"We have taken out the bullets but..."

"But what?" Nyonika asked, fearfully.

"But she had alot of internal bleeding. In fact her condition is still very critical." The doctor said. Manik's whole stopped and he felt like he couldnt breathe. "Im sorry but....if she doesnt wake up in the next 24 hours, we wont be able to do anything."

"WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN YOU WONT BE ABLE TO DO ANYTHING? HUH?" Manik furiously grabbed the doctor's collar and shook him. "YOU ARE A DOCTOR! ITS YOUR JOB TO SAVE PEOPLE'S LIVES SO DO IT! SAVE MY WIFE'S LIFE!"

"Manik!" Raj & Anand peeled Manik off the doctor. The others were in shock.

"Save her pls..." Manik dropped to the floor sobbing. "Pls...Pls..Pls..."

"Im so sorry Doctor.." Raj apologized.

"Its okay, I understand. "The doctor gave a sympathetic look to Manik. "Once we move her into a room, you can go in if you like."

"I can't loose her...maar jaunga uske bina main." Manik cried, not hearing what the doctor said. 

"Manik...tu andar ja. Nandu se baat kar...woh pakka thik ho jayegi...kuch nahi hoga." Nyonika helped her son up once Nandini had been moved. Manik wiped his tears and entered the room. Nandini lay there, looking pale as needles were pierced into her skin, there were many machines and an oxygen mask still covering her face. Only the steady beep beep of the machine to show that Nandini was still hanging onto life. Manik sat down on the chair beside Nandini's bed and took her hand in his, kissing it gently.

"Yeh jo saare doctors hai na yahan. Paata nahi kahan se apni degree haasil ki hai..pakka paise de ke kareedi hogi." Manik chuckled to himself. "They know nothing....kuch nahi hoga tumhe. Kuch ho hi nahi sakta. Tumne promise ki hai mujhe...ki tum mujhe chod ke kaabhi nahi jaoge. Aur meri biwi apni promises rakhti hai...so I know tumhe hosh aa jayegi."

From outside the room, the two families watched as Manik talked to Nandini emotionally. Nyonika, who was staying strong until now broke down and Raj held her.

"Yeh kya ho gaya hai Raj? Pehle Roshni aur Nandini ke saath, bhawan kyun kar rahe hai yeh sab?" Nyonika sobbed. "Humare bachon ke saath kyun?"

"Bhagwan nahi...Lavanya ne kiya hai yeh sab. Agar by chance woh choot gayi na....toh main usse apne haathon se maar dunga!" Ravi yelled. The others silently cried for Nandini.