TWELVE

Alexis and Tony arrived at the place where Steve and Bucky had gone, the father and daughter hiding, waiting for the other two to arrive

There were footsteps outside of the door and Alexis turned herself invisible, looking through the small glass window to see if it was Steve and Bucky.

"Dad, it's them." Alexis whispered.

"Alright. It's time, baby Stark." Tony replied.

"You ready?" Alexis heard Steve whisper to Bucky.

"Yeah." Bucky murmured.

Tony slowly opened the door to reveal himself. Steve stood up with a surprised look on his face and Tony removed his helmet.

Bucky continued to point his gun at Tony and Alexis swallowed, her heart rate picking up.

Steve stepped forward, holding out his shield.

"You seem a little defensive." Tony spoke up.

Steve nodded. "It's been a long day."

"Relax soldier, we're not after you." Tony shook his head.

"Then why are you here?" Steve asked.

"And who's we?" Bucky added.

"I'm here too." Alexis breathed, but she kept herself invisible.

Bucky swallowed and gripped his gun tighter.

"Could be that your story's not so crazy. Maybe. Ross has no idea we're here, I'd like to keep it that way. Otherwise, I gotta arrest my daughter and myself."

"Well, that sound like a lot of paperwork."

"Also, good luck arresting someone you can't find." Alexis raised her eyebrows.

Tony scoffed and Steve put down his shield. "It's good to see you Tony. And it's good to...hear you, Alexis."

"You too, Cap." Tony then looked over to Bucky. "Hey, Manchurian Candidate, you're killing me. There's a truce here, you can drop..."

Steve then raised his hand at Bucky and he lowered the gun cautiously.

"Is she gonna possess me again?" Bucky asked.

"No, I'll keep the peace. For now." Alexis answered.

"Alexis." Tony sighed.

"Fine. No, Barnes, I'm not going to possess you." Alexis rolled her eyes. "There. Happy?"

Tony just shook his head and the four started walking around the abandoned place, Tony going first, then Bucky and Steve following him, and Alexis stayed behind them, though it didn't matter because no one could see her anyway.

"I've got heat signatures." Tony spoke up.

"How many?" Steve asked.

"Uh, one." Tony responded.

They walked into another room and a few tanks lit up with a yellow light and steam poured out of them.

"If it's any comfort, they died in their sleep." A voice said over a loudspeaker. "Did you really think I wanted more of you?"

"What the hell." Bucky muttered.

"I'm grateful to them, though. They'd brought you here."

Just then, they saw Zemo's face and Cap threw his shield at it, but it bounced off of some metal and came back to him. 

Zemo lit up and it showed himself behind a metal door.

"Please, Captain, the Soviet's build this chamber to withstand the launch blast of UR-100 rockets." Zemo informed.

"I'm betting I could beat that." Tony yelled, his voice echoing throughout the chamber.

"Oh, I'm sure you could, Mr. Stark, given time. But then you'd never know why you came." Zemo replied.

"You killed innocent people in Vienna just to bring us here?" Steve hissed.

"Not to mention, you framed someone for murder!" Alexis added.

"Ah, you've brought the invisible one too. Good. I've thought about nothing else for over a year. I studied you. I followed you."

"You're Sokovian. Is that what this is about?" Steve asked.

"Sokovia was a failed state long before you blew it to hell. No. I'm here because I made a promise." Zemo answered.

"You lost someone." Steve nodded.

Zemo clicked his tongue and stared into Zemo's eyes. "I lost everyone. And so will you."

Zemo then pressed a button that turned on a small television beside Steve.

"What is he showing?" Alexis whispered.

"You'll soon find out. An empire toppled by its enemies can rise again. But one which crumbled from within? That's dead. Forever." Zemo responded.

Bucky and Tony stepped over to the screen as well and Alexis finally revealed herself.

Just then, the screen changed to security footage to a dark road at night.

"I know that road. What is this?" Tony called.

Zemo did not reply and Tony looked back down.

A car sped up and crashed into something, then a man on a motorcycle zoomed toward the car, hurting the man and woman in it, who Alexis recognized as her grandparents.

Tony's nostrils flared when he saw Bucky strangling his mother.

Bucky then went to the back seat and saw a baby, Tony clenching his jaw when Bucky touched his daughter.

"I-is that me?" Alexis asked.

She then looked up at Bucky who had looked away from her and just then Alexis remembered everything.