28

cttro

~

Kenma couldn't contain his anticipation as he eagerly awaited the moment he would finally see his beloved wife, Etsuko. His mind was consumed with thoughts of her, making it impossible for him to focus on the meeting at hand.

Time seemed to crawl by, teasing him with its sluggish pace. Glancing at the clock on his wall, Kenma sighed, realizing that the minutes were dragging on. He gazed outside his office window, catching sight of the table that Etsuko used to occupy when she worked as his secretary. It was placed just outside his door, a constant reminder of her presence. Kenma had made it a rule that no one else was allowed to use that table, as it held a special place in his heart. He knew Etsuko would be upset if she found out, insisting that someone else should make use of it since it was unoccupied. 

A mischievous smile tugged at Kenma's lips as he entertained the thought of Etsuko's reaction. The idea of her getting mad at him for reserving the table exclusively for her brought a sense of joy to his heart. 

Suddenly, a knock at the door interrupted Kenma's musings. "Mr. Kozume?" a voice called from outside. 

"You may come in," Kenma replied, quickly composing himself. The door opened, revealing his new secretary. "What is it?" Kenma asked, his mind still preoccupied with thoughts of Etsuko. 

"The meeting room is ready. Shall we proceed?" the secretary informed him. 

Without uttering a word, Kenma rose from his seat and made his way to the meeting room. However, throughout the entire meeting, his mind was elsewhere, consumed by thoughts of where he would take Etsuko once they were reunited. The excitement was overwhelming, making it nearly impossible for him to concentrate on the matters at hand. Hours passed, and the meeting showed no signs of coming to an end.

Frustration began to creep in, mirroring Kenma's growing impatience. Just as the tension in the room reached its peak, a sudden knock on the door shattered the silence, interrupting their discussion. A figure hastily approached the host of the meeting, whispering something urgently. The expressions on their faces turned grave, as if something terrible had occurred.

Kenma felt a chill run down his spine, a foreboding sense that something dreadful had indeed happened. The host of the meeting approached Kenma, leaning in to whisper words that sent a wave of devastation crashing over him it brought Kenma to his knees, his heart heavy with sorrow.

~

In a state of panic, Kenma rushed to the hospital, desperately hoping that it wasn't too late. But when he arrived, the devastating news hit him like a tidal wave. 

Miya Etsuko had been declared dead.

Miya Etsuko, his beloved wife, had been declared dead. The realization was like a dagger through his heart. Kenma was denied the chance to see her lifeless body. She had been confined to a separate room, forever out of his reach.

The doctors delivered a bittersweet message, informing him that their child had miraculously survived, having been safely delivered before Etsuko's passing. They praised Etsuko's strength, mentioning her faint pulse that allowed them to save the baby.

This was not how they had envisioned their future. Kenma and Etsuko had eagerly planned for the joyous occasion of their child's birth, with Kenma by her side, holding her hand throughout the process. But now, everything had been shattered.

Kenma found himself a mess, searching for meaning in a world that suddenly felt empty without Etsuko, the very essence of his existence. 

Etsuko had been on her way to Kenma's office when a tragic accident occurred. A car had lost control, snatching away her precious life in an instant. She had arrived at the hospital barely clinging to life. The doctors recounted how, in her final moments, all she had pleaded for was the safety of her unborn child.

Hours had passed before Kenma was granted permission to see his child. The mere act of standing felt like an insurmountable challenge, but he mustered every ounce of strength to make his way to the room.

Inside, his child lay connected to machines, their tiny body oxygenated and monitored. Kenma's trembling hand pressed against the glass, as if trying to reach out and touch his child. Overwhelmed with grief, he sank to his knees, tears streaming down his face. Everything had gone horribly wrong.

They had been so full of happiness that morning, and now they were plunged into a nightmare. Kenma couldn't help but wonder what kind of karma he must have accrued to be subjected to such unbearable pain.

A compassionate nurse approached Kenma, offering him the opportunity to see his wife one last time. With a heavy heart, he rose to his feet and followed the nurse down the cold, sterile hallway.

They entered the room, and the nurse gave him the space he needed to face this heartbreaking moment alone. With trembling hands, Kenma stepped forward, his breath catching in his throat.In that chilling room, lay the lifeless body of the woman he adored.

She was covered in a white cloth, her hand, adorned with their wedding ring, peeking out from beneath the fabric. Kenma's cries echoed through the room as he saw this heartbreaking sight, confirming the cruel reality that she was truly gone.

Summoning every ounce of courage he had left, Kenma mustered the strength to remove the white cloth from Etsuko's face. As he did, he collapsed beside her, his tears flowing freely as he clung to her lifeless hand.

Earlier that morning, they had shared kisses and promises of a bright future. Now, all Kenma had left was the cold embrace of a lifeless body, a painful reminder of the profound loss he had endured.